How To Take Care Of A Sea Anemones

Are you seriously spamming this forum? I mean, come on, 6 threads in one day :huh: I'll be pleasant today, but don't expect me or anyone else to continue doing so if you keep posting so many threads. It's okay to ask alot of questions, but try to keep them in one or two threads only please :)

Sea Anemones (often refferred to incorrectly as just 'Anemones', which are a plant - Sea Anemones are named after them because they look like the Anemone's flower) are incredibly diificult to keep in an aquarum, mostly because they consist of more than 90 per cent water, and so are very sensitive to changes in water chemistry. Many Anemones are shipped in a waterless container to prevent them from having to acclimate from the old to the new water.

Anemones are more capable of collecting food from the water than their relatives, coral, but less able than their other relatives, jellyfish. All members of this family (the Coelenterates) possess organs called nematocysts. These nematocysts are basically tiny bags with coiled springs inside of them. When touched, they will usually spring out, and in most species they are barbed and/or tipped with poison. Many Coelenterates, such as Pizza Anemones, Fire Corals, and most especially, Box Jellyfish, have very strongly stinging nematocysts that can not only sting the hell out of a fish, crab, or any other animal unfortunate to touch them, but even pose a signifigant danger to humans (Box Jellyfish can kill an adult human in four minutes). So guess what will happen when they touch your corals :crazy:

However, most Coelenterates have another trick up their sleeves: they contain an algae called zooxanthellae in their tissues. Their are a few different types of zooxanthellae, and a few species (such as the Acropora in the southern Pacific) can switch between these types to suit their needs. Corals themselves are very hardy, but the algae within them are not. If stressed, these algae will flee the coral, and since the algae provide the majority of the coral's nutritional needs the coral may die if it cannot capture more algae and "farm" it.

If the lights on your tank are not strong enough, the algae, being photosynthetic, may die, leaving the coral/anemone to starve to death. You need very strong lights on a reef aquarium for this purpose. Many corals and all anemones also need supplemental feeding.

Anemones are not impossible to keep, but very difficult. They may only live for 2 years in a tank, but they may live for centuries in the wild. If you are going to get one, wait at least 6 months for your tank to "mature" (not going to discuss that now) and buy a strong species such as a Sebae Anemone (Heteractis Sebae? I can't remember what it's latin name is :S ) or Bubble Tip, Entemacea Quadricolor.

-Lynden

I'm sorry Lynden, but I'm going to have to disagree with you on a few points.

Firstly, I think that in the context of a fish forum anemone is a perfectly viable term, Clown fish can be reffered to as clowns, but they are not clowns at all, they are a type of fish, abbreviations and jargon are important for the maintainance of community and for ease of communication. Also some are very easy to keep, mejano and Aptasia to specific are considered pests in most conditions. Rock flower anemones are also generally considered fairly easy to keep, but they will not host clowns I'm sure Dalejr was interested in nems for that reason.

I think its an oversimplification to say that Anemones are more capable of collection food from the water than there reletives, Coral. Firstly there are photosynthetic Nems that get 95% of there food from symbiotic algea, while there are nonphotosynthetic corals that get 100% of there energy from food coloected from the water column. Besides the line between Anemones and hydroids and corals is a bit blurry, Some things that fall squarely into the category coral like Zoanthids are much more closely related to anemones than true corals, mushrooms aswell. Also, the different between weather or not a cnidarian stings humans or not is not based on the strength of the toxin, but rather the penetrating power of the nematocysts, Piza anemones and Fire corals (a hydroid) can sting you, but the toxin is not nearly as deadly as that that you would encounter by brushing cut skin or mucus membranes against a zoanthids, acan lords can do a number on you too. Also, I'm not certain but I would be very hesitant to venture so far as to say that most Cnidarians and Ctenophora posess zooxanthellae. Also Coelenterates is obsolete these days Perhaps we should pull out further and go with the kingdom Eumetazoa, other than Comb jellies and Cnidarians are there and animals that express radial symetry?

Now, to address Dalejr_802 Listen to Lyden, wait atleast 6 months before you even think about an anemone, I don't care how good your tank looks, 6 months is probably cutting it short, Get a chiller and some metal halide lights or a big bank of T-5's, and a much better option is still to get a sarcophyton leather coral, the people who don't know salt water tanks will think its an anemone when its happy (and if you can't keep a sarcophyton happy you have no bussiness keeping an anemone) and the people who do know saltwater should respect your choice thats better for the animal and the environment and your tank. And those who don't don't matter one bit.

I am by no means a senior member nor am i an expert but I totally agree with lynden most of the questions the guy has asked are clearly already answered here as I have read them myself. I think it's great that so many people are willing to continually answer the same questions and give replies. but if someone is not willing to help them selves at all then why should anyone else help them.

In short if i wasn't willing to read up and educate myself at least 50% I would expect you to tell me to F*&@ off.

Oh well, I came close. I figured that Cnidarians was the old term :/ damn.

But I do have a few things to reply to:
Firstly, I think that in the context of a fish forum anemone is a perfectly viable term
So do I, noticed that I used "Anemone" myself, as it is awkward to always say "Sea Anemone". But I was reffering to the many volumes of literature I have read that called the "Anemones" the entire time (such as my beloved "Living World" book).

I think its an oversimplification to say that Anemones are more capable of collection food from the water than there reletives
I know it is, but notice who I was talking to. Also, although the polyps themselves of many corals (such as Sun Corals or Dendropthya) can capture large food in relation to their own bodies, Anemones and Mushroom Corals can catch much larger pieces and a much larger amount of food than any Coral colony, excluding the very large ones, could.

Perhaps we should pull out further and go with the kingdom Eumetazoa, other than Comb jellies and Cnidarians are there and animals that express radial symetry
I thought all animals were taxed under the kingdom Animalia :/ perhaps you meant "class"? And for animals that express radial symetry, what about starfish?

Although I am dissapointed that I got it wrong, thanks Opcn for pointing those things out. :)

I would expect you to tell me to F*&@ off.
We would! :lol: :hey: just kidding :sly: :grr: ....

-Lynden

Actually we are both wrong, its a sub kingdom , and I should have specified the unranked category radiata. Starfish are echinoderms, and while they are radialy symetrical later in life early on they express bilateral symetry.

Edit: I really appreciate that your willing to accept scientific differences, and actually pay enought attention to correct me.

I really appreciate that your willing to accept scientific differences, and actually pay enought attention to correct me.

No problem, I appreciate when you do it, too. Seems like people who do that are few and far between these days :/

-Lynden

Most reactions

Back