How To Start?

ok so you think java moss and anbuias would be fine in my tank with the standard light etc???

I think it will be. Just put them plants close to where the light is instead of towards the corner of the tank. Then when you see growth you will know.

Anubias is very slow growing. If it doesn't start yellow and it looks healthy you can try a plant like Cabomba which grows fast to see how your light is.

Keep in mind this about Anubias:
54485d1336586093-ammonia-nitrite-spike-anubiasinstruct.jpg

also does having plants mean the light has to stay on 24 hours a day???

Absolutely not.

Plants or not plants, the lights should never be on over 12 hours because it can start algae growth.

Also, the fish need at least 4-5 hours of complete darkness in order to be healthy. They will become stressed otherwise.

I started out by turning my lights on at 11am and turned them off at 11pm when I went to bed. On one of my tanks (the smallest 5gallon) I started noticing algae growth so I lowered the light exposure.

I would recommend between 8-12 hours of light per day. If you get a $5 timer from Lower/Home Depot it makes life easier, especially if u leave over the weekend or something. (I started out just turning the lights on myself but I have 4 tanks and I got tired of doing it so I got timers. THey also regulate the day time for fishes and plants which is good for their health. Establishes a natural time cycle.)

You want to give the plants a minimum of 6-8 hours of light per day.

If you see algae, just cut back exposure.

Most reactions

Back