How To Start?

dannyboi91

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi all im wanting to get into live plants in one maybe both of my tanks but am clueless of how to go about it ie: substrate? co2?? lights? fertiliser? do i need all of these ???
as i said clueless any help would be brilliant

hi all im wanting to get into live plants in one maybe both of my tanks but am clueless of how to go about it ie: substrate? co2?? lights? fertiliser? do i need all of these ???
as i said clueless any help would be brilliant

What do you currently have now?

How big are you tanks?

Do you want to run a low tech set up without C02? It's possible and cheaper. Still looks beautiful.

Give us some more information on the equipment you have and what you are willing to spend. Some of the lighting can be expensive.

It also depnds on the type of plants you want to keep, but whichever plants you go for, i would say to use a fertiliser :good: (unless you go for very very hardy plants)

It also depnds on the type of plants you want to keep, but whichever plants you go for, i would say to use a fertiliser :good: (unless you go for very very hardy plants)

I agree.

A good overall substance to use is Flourish Comprehensive by Seachem.

C02 is not needed,

Im looking to start with my 54Litre Jewel Korall 60 with standard light internal filter and 50w heater
too small??
if i can avoid co2 i would prefer it as i have no experience with it but am willing to consider if its no too much hassle
i have no idea about plants either tbh

Im looking to start with my 54Litre Jewel Korall 60 with standard light internal filter and 50w heater
too small??
if i can avoid co2 i would prefer it as i have no experience with it but am willing to consider if its no too much hassle
i have no idea about plants either tbh

so this is a 15 Gallon tank 60 x 30 x 30cm.

This tank comes with One Juwel light tube 20 watts which is enough to get you started on some low light plants like Java Fern and Anubias.

Lighting will be the most essential aspect of your planted tank.

There are two main substrate options. You can get a special type of gravel that has fertilizer in it. It is very thin almost sand like gravel. This is good for plants.

The other option is sand. If you can find good planted freshwater aquarium sand for not too much that is good. Otherwise cheap play sand works well.

You don't want thick pebbled gravel as it will be hard for roots to go through. Do some research on pricing and what you can find around you and let us know.

You do not need c02. I don't use C02.

This is my main tank right now:
29mainView01Thumb.jpg

29 gallon tank running One 20 Watt 6500 Kelvin Flourescent Bulb and One 23Watt CFL 6500 Kelvin Bulb.

I dose it twice a week (24 hours after I use Prime) with Flourish Comprehensive.

My plants are thriving but they would do better if I had thinner gravel or sand.

You can see the specs on this tank here: My 29 Gallon Community Tank Journal

does any aquarium sand work ????
when u say dose twice a week is this an additive that is added to the water doe this have effect on fish???

Yes any aquarium or play sand will work. Black, brown or dark colors works well...it is better for the fish because the dark substrate keeps their stress level down.

Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive

Flourish is a liquid fert that you just pour into your tank. I pour it near the filter outlet so it spreads through the water.

You use 6ml per 60 Gallons of water twice per week. You get a 250ml bottle. You can do once per week if not heavy planted.

It does not harm the fish. In a way it could be good for the fish because it adds some useful minerals fish can absorb through the water.

Too much would do harm to plants and fish. If you just dose twice a week at the recommended amount there will never be a problem.

What water conditioner do you use?

i use king british Safe guard

Yeah I don't really know about those British products as I have never used them. If someone on here from England comes on they can hopefully give some insight on that product.

If you can find Seachem Prime, I would highly recommend it after you are out of that stuff.

I am mainly asking because if you use Seachem Prime, it detoxifies and neutralizes any heavy metals in the water. Flourish Comprehensive puts some of those metals in the tank but are beneficial to plants. Putting Flourish Comprehensive in 24 hours after using Prime is best to assure the minerals are not being converted into something the plants can't use.

Just something to think about.

i will get some of that when i run out of this stuff and i have looked at some other peoples tanks and i like the plants that grow up the wood in the tank if ya get what i mean ????

i will get some of that when i run out of this stuff and i have looked at some other peoples tanks and i like the plants that grow up the wood in the tank if ya get what i mean ????

Those are most likely some kind of Moss.

Java Moss
X-Mass Moss

I would research on mosses as they are decently easy to grow and will stick to stuff like wood. You will have to initially tie it to the wood unless you buy it already on it.

Java Fern and Anubias will also attach very well to wood.

Dwarf Sag.
Pygmy Chain Sword.

Those two are short grass carpeting plants.

The only other way I know is with Java Moss Carpet or attaching Riccia to something which is what I did.

If you can find a lot of dwarf sag or chain sword it will give you a 3" carpet about.

The riccia is shorter but much harder to plant, take care of and maintain. a lot harder lol. I am having trouble keeping it from being uprooted from where I tied it down.

Carpet plants except Java Moss are usually high light plants btw.

Most reactions

Back