How To Set Up A Fish Only Tank?

David_M

Reaction score
Hey...

as the topic says how can i set up a fish only saltwater tank. i have heard its much easier than keeping a fish-liverock tank or a reef tank and that there are some things like phosphate and calcium you don't have to worry about.. so i was just wondering how to one up and specially WHAT EQUIPMENTS do i need

so far i don't have anything done its just the info i need before i make the decision.

thanks to all

Hey...

as the topic says how can i set up a fish only saltwater tank. i have heard its much easier than keeping a fish-liverock tank or a reef tank and that there are some things like phosphate and calcium you don't have to worry about.. so i was just wondering how to one up and specially WHAT EQUIPMENTS do i need

so far i don't have anything done its just the info i need before i make the decision.

thanks to all

Cured live rock (about 1 kg per US gallon for adequate filtration)
Some substrate - argonite sand is fine for a substrate. Live sand is apparently not necessary and it's debated just how live the sand really is when it has been sat on a shelf for a period of time. The rock will "seed" the sand anyway.
A powerhead (something like a koralia or tunze nano) to create water flow in between the live rock. Depending on the size of the tank, you may need more than one powerhead.
A hydrometer or refractometer to test the salt level (specific gravity). A refractometer is more accurate and not much more expensive, I'd advise you get one of those
A protein skimmer - this separates and removes desolved solid waste from the water. It's worth checking out skimmer reviews and choosing one that gets good ratings. You can forgo the skimmer if you are willing to do larger water changes each week. But it makes more sense to have one on your tank.
There are no specific lighting requirements, unless you are going to try and keep corals.

You need to do water changes with salted water and to replenish evaporated water with unsalted water (the salt doesn't evaporate, so the salt levels creep up over time). You really need to use RO water, as it's free of nitrates, phosphates and other stuff that can allegedly wreak havoc to a marine tank. Apparently this is less of an issue with a FOWLR (fish only with live rock) set-up, but I suspect other people will say you're best to go with RO no matter what type of tank you have. So you need a source of RO water. Either your LFS can sell it to you, OR you can get an RO machine to create your own. Your LFS will most likely also sell ready salted water to make things even easier.

hey...

1 Kg per US gallon for adequate filtration???? how do i know if my filter (or the filter i get) is adequate????? If i don't add the protein simmer how big of a water change are we talking about???
can i use distilled water???

thanks anyways just that u know my tank is a 17 gallon tank (is this too small for a FOWLR tank) and if i do set up a FOWLR tank it will be in a very far future....

thanks

hey...

1 Kg per US gallon for adequate filtration???? how do i know if my filter (or the filter i get) is adequate????? If i don't add the protein simmer how big of a water change are we talking about???

thanks anyways just that u know my tank is a 17 gallon tank (is this too small for a FOWLR tank) and if i do set up a FOWLR tank it will be in a very far future....

thanks

Hey,

17g is fine. I think a lot of experienced people here will say if you are starting out you'd be better going for a 24g+, due to the fact that a larger tank is inherently more stable and more forgiving because there's a larger volume of water. I think you could make a 17g work though. I am kind of starting out and I have an 11.5g tank. I have had FW before and I have had a couple of small fish only marine tanks without live rock.

When I say adequate filtration, with a typical FOWLR set-up it is the live rock itself that becomes the filter. If you use a cannister filter, or HOB etc. on a saltwater tank eventually it becomes a nitrate factory, and causes high nitrates in the tank. So the filter actually benefits from being cleaned in chlorinated water every week to kill all the bacteria on it. You would not do this with a freshwater filter, as you want the bacteria to process the ammonia and nitrites. With a live rock set-up the LR harbors the nitrifying bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrite and then nitrate. You use a powerhead in the tank to keep a good flow of water to the live rock helping it to perform its duties. An additional filter such as a cannister or HOB isn't actually necessary and if you use one, it'll need to be periodically cleaned to prevent the build up of nitrates.

You can run a fish only (without live rock) tank. It isn't particularly recommended and since the filter then is handling the nitrification process, then you would need to preserve the bacteria, by washing the filter media in old tank water. But I don't know what happens re's nitrates - I suspect they just build up and remain high; hopefully not too high.

As far as I know distilling the water will remove the chlorine, if your water is chlorinated, but I am not sure about the other stuff such as heavy metals, phosphates, nitrates etc. Maybe someone else here can comment on that. It isn't ideal, but if you are not keeping corals (which you say you aren't going to) then you can use dechlorinated tap water that is mixed with salt. Apparently you're likely to have increased problems with algae if you do, but I have seen others do it.

Other people can advise as to the best amount of water to change if not running a skimmer. It'll depend on stocking levels and amount of live rock.

Sorry - 1kg per gallon of water seems excessive. It's more like 1-1.5 lbs per gallon.

L

hey...

thanks
IMO opinion FOWLR is by far the easiest way to keep marines

17 gallons is fine as long as you go for appropriately sized fish

Hey...

Thanks a lot..... so what you are saying is that if i have a normal tropical fish filter its going to produce a lot of nitrate? well i have a weird filter system it's one of those that are glued with sylycon in the inside (back) of the tank i guess its the same as the others, right? so would it be better just to buy a skimmer? or not use the filter at all? and 2 more thing what's chlorine, and if i use the skimmer is it necessary to use a sump and if it is how does it work?

Thanks a lot.... :D

Hey...

Thanks a lot..... so what you are saying is that if i have a normal tropical fish filter its going to produce a lot of nitrate? well i have a weird filter system it's one of those that are glued with sylycon in the inside (back) of the tank i guess its the same as the others, right? so would it be better just to buy a skimmer? or not use the filter at all? and 2 more thing what's chlorine, and if i use the skimmer is it necessary to use a sump and if it is how does it work?

Thanks a lot.... :D

Hi David,

You're like I was not so long ago. Marines all sound so confusing at first with all the options - sumps, refugiums, skimmers, biological and chemical filtration, live rock etc.

It sounds like you have a Juwel tank with an internal box that contains a powerhead and the filter media, and the box is siliconed in place. I currently have a filter and a skimmer running on my tank. The filter at least helps to keep the water clearer, so it is of some benefit. But as already mentioned over time it'll need washing in chlorinated water to kill off all bacteria and prevent it from generating excessive nitrates. But nonetheless, that filtering is useful to a) create some flow in the tank, and b) to keep the water clearer of floating debris.

The sump is useful, but by no means necessary. A sump is a separate tank that sits under the tank, and water overflows into an overflow pipe (or overflow box) and into the sump. There's then a powerhead that returns water back into the tank. The benefit of a sump is that a) you are increasing the volume of water you have (as the sump has water in it too) so the water params become more stable. b) you can put all your electrics into the sump and hide them away, b) you can have more elaborate filtering methods, such as using live rock rubble, and macro algae (the algae processes some nitrates). There are also other benefits. But you do not need a sump, or a refugium. A refugium is like a sump that tends to hang on the bank of the tank, it has other benefits but I won't go into them.

Chlorine is put in drinking water to kill bacteria and make it safe for consumption. Normal tap water usually contains other stuff too - small amounts of heavy metals, phosphates (the thing you want to control if you want to keep control of algae in teh tank), and sometimes nitrates. Using dechlorinator will render some of these safe, but getting water produced by a reverse osmosis machine (RO) will mean that 95%+ of those impurities are removed, leaving it very safe for a successful marine tank.

As I mentioned, some do just use dechlorinated tap water that they then mix with salt, but your best bet is to use salted RO water.

If you were willing to do a 25% water change each week, then you may not need a skimmer. But it's worth the added benefit of having one on the tank.

Hey...

Thanks, yeah you are right at the beginning i thought that all that marine aquariums thing were sooo complicated but know i see its not that hard at all it's just a little challenging...

know that you explain what chlorine is, i totally remember and realize what a stupid question i asked :X

oh and if this helps my tank is a Aquarium aquatlantis biobox 1, not a juwel inside box... this is what the filter looks like http://www.aquatlantis.com/uk-frame-produt...p?id_produto=71 the filter is siliconed to the tank in the pic it says biobox 2 but the number 1 its just the same

thanks a lot for everything once again

what fish are you planning on keeping? :)

Don't have any idea i think the best thing is to see which are the right size for my tank if you know any types of fish for a 17 gallon FOWLR tank i would like to know some....

Most reactions

Back