How to replace filter

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tazman12

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
How would I go about replacing a filter in a cycled tank. I've herd that it is not good to just put a new filter in the pump because this may reverse a cycled tank.

I've herd that it may be a good idea to float or submerge the new filter in the tank for a week or two prior to replacing the old filter.

Can any of the expereinced tanks owners clarify this matter for me.

thanks

it's a Regent water fall type pump the filter is sqare and has carbon and filter all together.

Thanks

I am planning on replacing the filter on my tank. I was planning on running both filters for a week or so to establish the new filter. I think if I run both filters on low flow then it should be fine. Shouldn't it???

Hi all,

I too would like more opinions on this. I have the same filter as Tazman12 and just clean it out in the water I remove during weekly water changes and replace it. I've learned on this forum that the carbon is no longer effective and many people say to use just "floss" with no carbon. I use a penguin 125 biowheel, can I just cram floss in the back instead of replacing the square carbon/filter or would that not work. Stupid question I know, but I figured I'd ask anyway... Thanks!

Not familiar with that kind of filter. Certainly, taking the cycled media out and replacing it with new is not a good idea. It's better to rinse the old media in a little tank water and put it back as suggested already.

>>> carbon is no longer effective

Activated carbon is a good absorber of chemical pollutants for a while, but it loses this ability over time, and becomes simply an inert surface for bacteria to grow on. To reactivate the carbon - it is necessary to heat it to high temperatures, (i.e. ceramic/glass workers kiln temperatures, not a domestic oven). Frankly, something like siporax or another sintered glass is a better medium, it has greater surface area per unit volume.

I would suggest cutting the filter sponge in half and replacing half of the sponge now and then the other half next time you need to change it. My filter brand recomends changing the filter once every three months in this way (ie a complete change over 6 months) this way you don't loose your beneficial bacteria.

As for carbon, my filter has a seperatable carbon chamber which I have been told to change once a month in order that it still works...

I dont know if this would work with your filter, but it';s a suggestion... :)

How would I go about replacing a filter in a cycled tank
Why would you want to replace the filter? Doesn't it work? Or do you mean the filter media (the stuff that goes in it)? You shouldn't have to replace it if the tank has only recently cycled. In fact, I only replace the filter media in my filters when it gets so old that it falls apart. I have had the same sponges in one of them for over 3 years and just rinse them in tank water (not in the tank, but water that has been taken out into a bucket) every now and then - mainly when I see that the outflow isn't as good as it should be. Same goes for the floss. All that brown gunk in it harbours a lot of beneficial bacteria so why would I want to get rid of it?

gadazobe said:
Why would you want to replace the filter?
I was just about to say that :lol:

Many companies recomend changing your filter media at set intervals because they know you will have to buy the media from them to fit the filter, it is complete nonsence and like gadazobe said filter media should only be replaced when it falls apart in your hand.

Most reactions

Back