How To Move A Large Pacu

I have 1 question though. I think your biggest concern should be about putting your fish into the uncycled 180 gallon. Have you thought about what your going to do cycling wise?

Good point, i would suggest using all the water from the 55 in the new tank. then just add new de-chlorinated water to it.
use the filtration too if it will work. also use the gravel, even thought it wont be enough for the 180 you can use it and just add to it.
this way maybe a cycle wont happen. this is what i did when i went from my 10 gallon to my 29 gallon and had no cycle. your just doing it on a much larger scale.

The floor supporting that big of a tank is a much bigger issue though.

2ND Floor apartment that i have lived at for many years.... the stand is 8 feet long to help move the weight evenly over more beams ... im really thinking more into it now as i only have a 55 there now but its on a load bearing wall. It should be ok but looking more into it is always better. As for the cycling if i can leave him in a 55 then it wont be aissue as i can cycle for 2 weeks... if i cant then ill use some of the water/filter from the 55 in the new tank.... can anyone reply back that has 150g tanks plus and let me know if they had any problems with the floor in first or seconds floor rooms? ... i mean if its over a 16" beam over 8 feet thats hitting double what the 55 is now. i know its more then double the size but just coming up with ideas...i really wanted a 125-150g tank but i didnt see many that were 24" deep which is the min he needs. I seen a 125 that was 24" deep but it was only 48 long therefore spreading all that weight on the same area as the 55.... ugh so much to think about

I would think that might hold :lol: .I have two 40 gallon tanks together in my like 10x10 room,they make the floor creak a bit though:por should i say crack :/

The filter running in the 55 will sustain the bio load you now have. You can move the fish, filter, and substrate to the new tank, and won't have to worry about cycling. The tank is just a box that holds water, the filter is cycled. Your old tank water holds no benificial bacteria, if it did you would have ammo & nitrite spikes every time you did a water change.

The load capacity of a structure is complicated, nothing that can be evaluated without seeing it in person. Check this out for a detailed look at aquariums and the load bearing capabilities of structures; http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article28.html

I have a 3' 65 gallon on the second floor, I talked to a couple friends who have been in carpentry & construction for many years before setting it up. It spans 3 joists at an angle along an outside support wall. If I was to do a larger tank I would do the same thing, ask the pros. I've got 2x10 joists 16" on center in a double brick 50+ year old house.

The filter running in the 55 will sustain the bio load you now have. You can move the fish, filter, and substrate to the new tank, and won't have to worry about cycling..

That is the same thing i said in my post #16 thanks for backing me up :good:

Your old tank water holds no benificial bacteria, if it did you would have ammo & nitrite spikes every time you did a water change.

true it holds no benificial bacteria but it is already aged and has no chlorine in it, thats why i suggested using it.

Many people don't realize that the filter media is cycled, and can switch filter & media to a new tank along with the fish, totally avoiding any cycling issues. A major portion of keeping healthy fish is keeping healthy bacteria.

I'm assuming a fish that size in a 55 has had regular large water changes, it wouldn't be so big & healthy if it didn't have excellent maintenance. Using all the water from the 55 in a 180 would be about the same as a 2/3 water change, something the fish is probably used to. Since the tank is going to be placed in the same spot, storing 55 or so gallons can be a hassle. If the fish is used to regular large water changes a 100% water change shouldn't affect the water parameters it's used to.

If the tank were to be in a different spot from the old one I would use the old water, only because I'm cheap. :nod: I've done 100% water changes many times when moving tanks, on tanks that get regular large water changes. Whenever I can I do use the old water, why pay for new if I don't have to.

When he was younger as he is 7 years old he lived threw many 100% water changes including a 55g tank busting lol. I was thinking of ordering the filter and setting it up on the 55 to cycle the new one as well but im scared now of the weight of the 180 so im looking into getting someone else to loo at it besides me even though ive done construction for years i always like to have a second opinion. If it wont support i may have to get a 125ish tank thats 24" wide. Im going to check out that ebay store as well. The stand i have 1/2 built so far is going to be the same for any tank though as it will help spread the weight no matter what. Id love to hear any stories of what others have gone threw with 100+ g tanks on second floors or even first floors as they have similar construction. I was talking to a friend and he said because of the time the place was built it may have beams 12" apart which would be godly LOL. Just have to get the person living downstairs to be home sometime when im hone lol.

i would definately consult a structural engineer before putting that tank on a 2nd floor apartment.

every building is different and it's impossible for someone to say online if it'll be fine or not. you need someone to come look at your house and work it out for you.

Most reactions

Back