How to measure the water quality in fish tank?

Caspian_Tyger

Reaction score
I recently started keeping tropical fish. It is a fresh water tank and I ahve a Biorb 60.

I want to start measuring the qater quality of the tank.

I am wondering:
What values should I measure?
What are the ideal ranges for those ranges?
which product should I use to measure the water quality?
How oftne should I measure water quality?

Thanks for your help.

Welcome to the hobby and the forum. An API test kit is your best friend. You're looking for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Also keep an eye on pH, and of course you want to be sure that your water is free of chlorine and/or chloramine, so you always treat it before every water change.

How long have you had the tank for by now? Was it cycled? If you don't know what that means it probably wasn't, so it is imperative you start measuring ammonia,nitrites and nitrates asap.

I recently started keeping tropical fish. It is a fresh water tank and I ahve a Biorb 60.

I want to start measuring the qater quality of the tank.

I am wondering:
What values should I measure?
What are the ideal ranges for those ranges?
which product should I use to measure the water quality?
How oftne should I measure water quality?

Thanks for your help.
The API master test kit is really accurate and is what most of us use.
It has all the necessary tests you need like Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and PH.

Ammonia should ALWAYS be 0
Nitrite should also ALWAYS be 0
Nitrate should be kept under 20ppm or as close to 0 as possible
PH depends on where you live in the world and what the fish need for the PH to be at.

Don't put fish on your tank right when you get it.
Cycling is must for all tanks and fishless cycling is the best option as it is easier on a beginner and less stressful on the fish...
Here is a link for more info:

Welcome to the hobby and the forum. An API test kit is your best friend. You're looking for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Also keep an eye on pH, and of course you want to be sure that your water is free of chlorine and/or chloramine, so you always treat it before every water change.

How long have you had the tank for by now? Was it cycled? If you don't know what that means it probably wasn't, so it is imperative you start measuring ammonia,nitrites and nitrates asap.

I didn't cycle the tank. I had another much smaller tank which I had for a bit longer so I just mvoed a lot of the water from the old tank into the new tank.

I have stocked the tank already.

I will purchase the API master test kit so I can measure the values in the tank.

The water does little in terms of good bacteria... The bacteria for cycling resides on hard surfaces like glass, rocks, wood, and substrate

The API master test kit is really accurate and is what most of us use.
It has all the necessary tests you need like Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and PH.

Ammonia should ALWAYS be 0
Nitrite should also ALWAYS be 0
Nitrate should be kept under 20ppm or as close to 0 as possible
PH depends on where you live in the world and what the fish need for the PH to be at.

Don't put fish on your tank right when you get it.
Cycling is must for all tanks and fishless cycling is the best option as it is easier on a beginner and less stressful on the fish...
Here is a link for more info:

I have:
Sailfind Mollys
Black Phantom
small cat fish
sucker fish
and some i am not sure the name of

Is there a typical PH value I should aim for?

I didn't cycle the tank. I had another much smaller tank which I had for a bit longer so I just mvoed a lot of the water from the old tank into the new tank.

I have stocked the tank already.

I will purchase the API master test kit so I can measure the values in the tank.
Welcome to TFF!
Did you also move the filter media and/or substrate? That is where BB (Beneficial Bacteria), if any, reside.

The water does little in terms of good bacteria... The bacteria for cycling resides on hard surfaces like glass, rocks, wood, and substrate

Ok i also moved a plant, moss ball and filter from the old tank into the new tank.

If you do not have a test kit and did not move substrate/decorations, filter media etc., I would do a daily 50% WC (Water Change) to be safe. Be sure to condition the water.

I have:
Sailfind Mollys
Black Phantom
small cat fish
sucker fish

Unfortunately pH depends exclusively on your water source. Most tropical fish can live in a range of 6.5 to 7.5 and most places around the globe really seem tp peovide that, however thr water pH will also depend on how many plants you keep. So, take it by steps. Once you get the kit you'll know what you have. Or take a water sample to your local store for a quick test; then you know what you're working with and what might need work.

I have:
Sailfind Mollys
Black Phantom
small cat fish
sucker fish

The mollys like hardwater. Hardwater has a high ph of over 7.8 [usually].
The rest of your fish look to be softwater and like water of 7.5 and under.
I would try to find the hardness and PH of your water. The minerals can cause issues in softwater species and the lack of them can be an issue for hardwater species. Mixing the two are not advised

Unfortunately pH depends exclusively on your water source. Most tropical fish can live in a range of 6.5 to 7.5 and most places around the globe really seem tp peovide that, however thr water pH will also depend on how many plants you keep. So, take it by steps. Once you get the kit you'll know what you have. Or take a water sample to your local store for a quick test; then you know what you're working with and what might need work.
Not necessarily depends on plants.... Yes rotting plants/wood help decrease PH but if your KH is high, it won't budge

I would try to find the hardness and PH of your water. The minerals can cause issues in softwater species and the lack of them can be an issue for hardwater species. Mixing the two are not advised
You can often find your water hardness online. If you do, report value and the measurement units.

So perhaps I should go for 7.5 that way it is a bit of both. I was told when i took my water in I needed to icnrease the pH of the water so I got some pH solution that increases it.

Most reactions

Back