How to lower KH or PH?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
So, I just finished up cycling my tank and my KH is 13 and my PH is 8.2... Any ideas? I dont want anything I have to pay a lot for by the way... It could be that my cycle with all the ammonia made my water go to 8.2 but I will test my tap in the morning as I have set out some of my tap for over night

So, I just finished up cycling my tank and my KH is 13 and my PH is 8.2... Any ideas? I dont want anything I have to pay a lot for by the way... It could be that my cycle with all the ammonia made my water go to 8.2 but I will test my tap in the morning as I have set out some of my tap for over night

First issue is the tap water parameters, for GH, KH and pH. The GH and KH will not change much in the aquarium, unless you target them. The pH will follow the GH/KH. Remember when testing tap water pH you need to out-gas the CO2.

The second question is what fish do you intend?

To answer the question, we need to know the above data. Messing with parameters is complex because these three are closely related.

First issue is the tap water parameters, for GH, KH and pH. The GH and KH will not change much in the aquarium, unless you target them. The pH will follow the GH/KH. Remember when testing tap water pH you need to out-gas the CO2.

The second question is what fish do you intend?

To answer the question, we need to know the above data. Messing with parameters is complex because these three are closely related.
My GH is 3 and my KH is 13... That is for my tap and tank water... The fish I plan to have is 3 peacock gudgeons and 9 lambchop rasboras... I will test the tap water PH tomorrow

My GH is 3 and my KH is 13... That is for my tap and tank water... The fish I plan to have is 3 peacock gudgeons and 9 lambchop rasboras... I will test the tap water PH tomorrow

OK. The tap pH out-gassed is important so we can deal with that tomorrow. The GH is fine for soft water fish as here. If the KH/pH does need lowering, the only safe way is to dilute the tap water with some type of "pure" water. This will also of course further lower the GH, which here is not a bad thing. But let's wait for the actual pH. The high KH is going to keep the pH where it is in the source water, that is certain.

OK. The tap pH out-gassed is important so we can deal with that tomorrow. The GH is fine for soft water fish as here. If the KH/pH does need lowering, the only safe way is to dilute the tap water with some type of "pure" water. This will also of course further lower the GH, which here is not a bad thing. But let's wait for the actual pH. The high KH is going to keep the pH where it is in the source water, that is certain.
Ok! Thanks! I have the water sitting out now

What about filtering the tap water through peat to use up the KH in the water?
eg: have a container of tap water. Add a filter with peat in it. Let the water get filtered through the peat until the pH comes down to the required level.

Drawback is the water will look yellow or brown depending on the amount of tannins in the water.

Otherwise mix it (50/50) with rain water, distilled water or reverse osmosis water.

What about filtering the tap water through peat to use up the KH in the water?
eg: have a container of tap water. Add a filter with peat in it. Let the water get filtered through the peat until the pH comes down to the required level.

Drawback is the water will look yellow or brown depending on the amount of tannins in the water.

Otherwise mix it (50/50) with rain water, distilled water or reverse osmosis water.
Its always raining here... I could do that

The test on the right was in a glass that sat out over nigjt to degas it and the left one was just straight tap... Im going to test the hose water
1127211101.jpg

This is the hose water... Ph is a lot lower...
1127211121.jpg

Did you out-gas the CO2 in the hose water? CO2 accumulates in the water as it travels through the network of pipes from the reservoir to your house. So the water from any tap, outside or inside, will (should) be the same as far as CO2 is concerned, unless it somehow gets out-gassed.

Did you out-gas the CO2 in the hose water? CO2 accumulates in the water as it travels through the network of pipes from the reservoir to your house. So the water from any tap, outside or inside, will (should) be the same as far as CO2 is concerned, unless it somehow gets out-gassed.
Idk... but all I know is that its low enough, so im happy... I will take a sample and let it sit out tonight

Idk... but all I know is that its low enough, so im happy... I will take a sample and let it sit out tonight

This is not making any sense, for the water to vary from the low 7's (I assume that is what the "hose" water is?) to above 8. The out-gassed tap water should be the actual pH of your water.

This is not making any sense, for the water to vary from the low 7's (I assume that is what the "hose" water is?) to above 8. The out-gassed tap water should be the actual pH of your water.
Maybe they come from different sources? idk

Maybe they come from different sources? idk

If your house is on municipal water, it will be the same water throughout the house, assuming there are no filters/softeners or similar on this or that tap.

@Rocky998 Does your home have a water softener? That would account for the large difference between GH and KH. Water softeners remove the GH minerals but not the KH minerals.

Most reactions

Back