How To Know If Diy Co2 Is Working

keiths

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just set up a DIY co2 system today. I have a 55 gallon tank.

I used 2 two liter bottles. 2 cups of sugar with about 3/4 yeast. I'm using an airstone on the end of the line.

Should there be bubbles coming out of the airstone? How exactly do you know if its working?

I used 2 two liter bottles. 2 cups of sugar with about 3/4 yeast. I'm using an airstone on the end of the line.

Should there be bubbles coming out of the airstone? How exactly do you know if its working?

How I make it so I can tell if CO2 is being produced is I place one air line into my 2 liter bottle and then run the airline into a smaller 20 fl oz bottle half full of water. I run the air line tubing underneath the water in the 20 fl oz bottle. I then run another air line, (NOT IN THE WATER) out of the top of the 20 fl oz bottle which goes to my tank. I can see how much Co2 is being produced in this manner because I can see the bubbles of Co2 as they bubble up through the water in my 20 fl oz bottle. This mechanism is called a "bubble counter" for ways on how to make this device Google "co2 bubble counter"

Rez B)

Thanks,

I've seen pictures of a 20oz bottle in between before but I wasn't sure of what it was exactly for. I'll try that out.

Hi keiths

Just wanted to draw your attention to something. I recently set up my own co2 generator because my plants were not doing that well. Since then they have started to grow quite well, if I could only get my goldfish to stop eating them now.

Anyways that’s beside the point. What I wanted to say was that by using an airstone to release the co2 into the tank you are greatly reducing its efficiency. This is because the bubble travels too quickly to allow the co2 to diffuse into the water. I would recommend that you make a co2 bell like I did below. The co2 stays in contact with the water for longer therefore it is more effective.

It’s really simple to make, it’s just the lid off a liquid washing powder bottle. I drilled a hole in the top of it, then glued the air tube in place with none toxic glue. Then I glued a sucker on the side of it so it would attach to the glass. It is dead handy and works a treat.

tanks

DSCF1768.jpg

DSCF1772.jpg

DSCF1773.jpg

Also the second empty bottle helps stop yeast from going into the tank.

I'll definitely try out that bell idea. I think I'm going to make the second smaller bottle tonight and hook that up.

I've had it running for about 2 days now and still no bubbles. When I shake up the two 2 liters bubbles do come out. I'm wondering if I didn't shake it enough when I set it up. Should I let it run a couple more days and see or should I just create a couple new bottles?

so it won't be bubbling at the top the whole time?i thought mine hasn't been working because i don't see it bubbling in the 2L bottle

i have 2 with yeast and one empty one none of them are bubling to top i see a little fuz stuff on top of water in the 2 yeast ones but not much

Mines doing pretty much the same thing.

When I said after I shake it bubbles come out, I meant bubbles come out of the airstone in the tank, not in my 2 liters. I recently hooked up a 20oz bottle as a bubble counter and of course it made no difference. However if I shake the 2 liters, bubbles come out of the air stone for a few minutes and then stop.

Mines doing pretty much the same thing.

When I said after I shake it bubbles come out, I meant bubbles come out of the airstone in the tank, not in my 2 liters. I recently hooked up a 20oz bottle as a bubble counter and of course it made no difference. However if I shake the 2 liters, bubbles come out of the air stone for a few minutes and then stop.

It could be your mixiture, the average life span of each mixture is about two weeks max. The more yeast you add the faster its going to male its way throught the sugar. I get very little bubbling out of my yeast bottles, the co2 is just sort of realesaed from the surface, I do get bubbles in my bubble counter though. But that is about one - two bubbles every five minute max and that drops off after the first couple of days.

I use a mixture of 2 cups water
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon bakers yiest.
I only have the one yiest bottle and I replace it after evey eight to ten days.

tanks

I had the same problem, wasnt getting bubbles after a day or so. pinch off the air line going into your tank, and squeeze the bottle to see if they hold pressure. you should be able to squeeze is pretty hard without having the bottles collapse.

Another thing I did was add a check valve, this way some of the pressure is held in the bottles and that seems to have helped, for whatever reason.

Two things to do:

1.If you suspect there is no gas make sure the bottle and water are clean. Also add some bicarbonate of soda, just a pinch to your mixture. That will ensure that the ph doesn't drop too much in the reactor bottle.

2.Check that there is no gas leakage- blow air hard in the bottle via the air tube which leads into the bottle and listen if the air is coming trough where the tube meets the lid of the bottle.

ahh

i just made a new co2 system for my fully planted 120g

i used 4 20oz bottles. used the 2c. water,1 cup sugar and 1/2 tsp yeast mix in each bottle.
added a 32oz that seperates the co2 from the yeast if any goes through the line.

i'll post a pic as soon as i get one

well actually a better way then the co2 bell is to jsut take the end of the co2 line and just stick it near, or attach it to, the intake of a filter or power head. This shoots the co2 in where it will jsut be diffused completly by the time it exits the filter.

Most reactions

Back