How To Get Water Into The Sump?

1234-fishy-freind

Fish Addict
Reaction score
My dad has just a an attractive 50gallon tank and stand.

It has no filter or lighting, just the tank and stand.

We would like to turn it into an invert tank with maybe a pair of commen clowns and nothing else.

The tank isnt drilled or anything so water cant go down into a sump.

How would we go about getting water from the tank into a sump.

Will we have to drill it or is there any other method of getting water down to a sump?

The best thing to do is drill the tank and fit a bulkhead. This is the easiest and most reliable way of plumbing the tank. I am currently setting up a marine tank and this is the method i am using.

Alternatively you can use an overflow box. Which is just like a syphon. Eg http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=overflo...=1&ct=title

I don't like the look of the over flow boxes. Don't fancy being around to see what damage one of them could cause if the syphon breaks or gets air locked.

from what i understand is that the syphons dont come back after a power cut so you get a puddle and are very tempramental.
Local fish shops and glass cutters will usually do the drilling for you if you dont want to risk your tank.

We have decided we are going to get it drilled and fit a bulk head, its the cheapest option.

Thanks guys.

Nice. Now all you have to do is size the bulkhead, pipe, head pressure, and pump to the flowrate you want. Easy right? :shifty:

Is anything when it comes to marine tanks ? :lol:

I enjoy the challenges though plus it will be something to keepo me occupied throughout this summer holiday.

Most reactions

Back