How to feed frozen food?

enfiskejer

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just bought some frozen brine shrimp and I have a 110L tank with 4 sparkling gouramis and a school of cardinal tetras (so far). I want to give them a varied diet and I would like to get some insight on how/what you feed your smaller fish.
Do I just pop a cube straight in or thaw it separately?

I usually take a cube and drop it into a mug with about an inch or two of boiling water from the kettle and leave it to one side to cool off, giving it a little shimmy occasionally to break it up. Once cooled I take the mug to the aquarium, mix the now thawed food & water with aquarium water before gently pouring out across the length of the aquarium allowing everyone to get some.

I usually take a cube and drop it into a mug with about an inch or two of boiling water from the kettle and leave it to one side to cool off, giving it a little shimmy occasionally to break it up. Once cooled I take the mug to the aquarium, mix the now thawed food & water with aquarium water before gently pouring out across the length of the aquarium allowing everyone to get some.
Sometimes I'll thaw a chunk in tank water and use a turkey baster to put it tank. The fish come up to the baster waiting for the treat. A baster also allows you to get food down near the substrate/caves for bottom feeders before other aggressive feeders take it all.

It depends on how many fish you have. I used to drop a cube of food into the tank and the fish would pick at it while it dissolved.

If I only had a few fish to feed, I would put a cube in an empty bowl and let it defrost, then offer a few bits at a time until the fish were full.

I fed dry food first, and then put frozen food in after they had eaten the dry food.

Something creeps me out about the water that frozen foods come in, especially the bloodworms. I thaw it in a glass of water and then pour it into a fine mesh brine shrimp net. After that I rinse with clean water - I use R/O since I have it - and then feed the fish.

I buy about 12 pounds of frozen food 2-3 times a year. I feed it as a mix, bloods, mysis, brine, brine gut loaded w/ spirulina and daphnia. For fry it is cyclops and rotifers and occasionally BBS (these are too expensive to use reglarly and I do not hatch them). I put the frozen food into a container and add warm tap water. I have a well and never need dechlor. I woiuld use tank water rather that adding to dechlor to fish food. For the fry I just pour the water with the food into tanks. For the main food I use a small strainer to take it out of the container and put it into the tank. This leaves most of the coloredwater behind. Bear in mind that cooking fish food destroys some of the nutritional value. Even warm water can do some reduction, so I try to avoid hotter water. If you can be patient, room temp. water will defrost frozen given some time.

My fish are pigs, they hit anything they think is food as soon as it hits the water. I prefer they not swallow frozen food, so I will only drop in a cube of blood worms (I am allergic and cannot buy it in slabs) into pleco breediing tanks. The do not surface or open water feed so the worms have to defrost to sink to where the fish are.

I do feed other foods besides frozen. Mostly Repshy and then for commercial I use an assortment of foods from kensfish.com. I am not a fan of most commercial foods and try to limit them to 20% or less of the diet. The problem is I can feed all 20 tanks with commercial in a lot less time. Feeding Repashy is a 30 minute process, frozen is about 15 and commercials takes about 5. For breeding fish and growing out offspring, food quality matter a great deal.

The nice thing about the Repashy is one can mix the different formulas together. I add about 20% veggie to the meaty foods. This means the fish that need some veggie matter as well as meat can get it all at once.

If the cubes are large, there may be too much in one cube for the fish you have. In that case I would cut a cube in half, return one half to the freezer and thaw the other half. You'll soon find if that's enough for 1 meal or not.

Some just drop a small frozen chunck in the tank. I take a cup with a bit of water and drop a piece in there, once it thaws out, in the tank it goes.

If the cubes are large, there may be too much in one cube for the fish you have. In that case I would cut a cube in half, return one half to the freezer and thaw the other half. You'll soon find if that's enough for 1 meal or not.
I figured that out haha! There was way too much for them to eat so I quickly gravel vacced the extra before it polluted the tank :)

I guess it depends on the size of the frozen 'chunk' and the number of fish you have. I culture white worms and often harvest more worms than I need, so I freeze in ice cubes. I have so many fish that I'll drop a frozen cube or two in each tank. The fish (just love white worms) will swarm and pick at the cubes that don't last very long at all. :)

Most reactions

Back