How To Feed Frozen Bloodworm Cubes?

Viettxboii

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Titles says it all, my 1st time feeding bloodworms,
usually feed nutrafin max pellets and flakes(also bought some nutrafin max sinking shrimp pellets today)
so ive no clue how to feed frozen bloodworm cubes =/

Hi, well a whole cube when defrosted holds a massive amount of bloodworms!

What I do is cut a cube in half while still frozen and drop it in a drop of water taken from the tank. When the worms are loose I pour them in :good:

Titles says it all, my 1st time feeding bloodworms,
usually feed nutrafin max pellets and flakes(also bought some nutrafin max sinking shrimp pellets today)
so ive no clue how to feed frozen bloodworm cubes =/

Hi there.
The best way IMO is to place the ammount of worms you wish to feed into a jug, and cover them with water. Leave them for half an hour to defrost. Strain the contents of the jug through a fine net, and place the worms into your tank. The cube can also be left floating on the tanks surface. It will defrost on the surface, however, I would not recommend the latter option if you keep smaller fish. I remember reading somewhere that some worms from this methord are consumed before they defrost, and caurse problems with the fishes digestive system. I have not personaly lost any fish using the latter option, and some people question the truth behind these reports. However, it only affects smaller fish (apparently), but to be on the safe side, it is best to avoid the methord, untill it is proven to be safe.
HTH
rabbut

ill try feeding half cubes at a time..,
ill defrost them in a container, with no water though however.
Would this suffice?

ill try feeding half cubes at a time..,
ill defrost them in a container, with no water though however.
Would this suffice?

I use a small bowl or other such tapered container and pour in enough tank water to cover and thaw cube within a minute or so. Place a portion or entire cube into bowl/container and gently swish water about so as to speed thawing. You can let it stand if you want, it just takes a bit longer that's all.

I find best success with using a pair of tweezers to pluck out the thawed bloodworms from the bowl/container and release them into the tank. I only use the tweezers expressly for this feeding purpose and not for any other hygiene needs. If you don't want to go the tweezer route, you could just pour in small amounts of the bloodworms at a time to control rate at which the fish are being fed.

I tried thawing without water and found it took too long for my preference. Getting a scoop of tank water is fairly easy to do. If you end up pouring the bloodworms back in, most if not all of the water will be returned to the tank anyways. So to that end, water level and top-off won't be of concern.

Hope that helps!
/BTV

I dip a small cup of water from the tank and drop a cube in it. Stir with a spoon for a minute or so and it will be completely defrosted. Just pour in the tank.

I do the same as RDD but then sieve it and add fresh or tank water, or just place it in the sieve and run the tap over it for a minute or so....

Mine didn't come in cubes rather just a frozen sheet that I break a piece off and just drop it in the tank. Neon Tetras are my smallest fish and none seem to have a problem.

My LFS tells me to defrost the cube and pour away the excess liquid which comes off it, as it is apparently full of nitrates and such things. Don't know how much truth there is in it. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thats the way i treat it, all the run off (to me) is just unneccessary pollutant, hence the sieve.

I take a small dish, put some water from the tank in, defrost the bloodworms there and then put them in by the tweezerful. If I have some left I just pour out as much water as possible and freeze, and then do it again.

Most reactions

Back