How to explain mysterious deaths?

Definitely not 2. if that is with other fish.

you list 1degree KH. Carbonate is CO3 ion this helps stabilize PH. The crushed coral in your tank will also control PH.

However you are calculating Gh from your KH reading. KH and GH are very different tests. KH measures carbonate only. GH measures calcium and magnesium levels. For fish GH is more important the KH. But most imporantly it is possible have KH but no GH. So for aquariums you cannot calculate GH from the KH test for aquariums. Get and run the GH test. GH can be low to zero with carbonate or high with no carbonate. If you GH is too low that might explain your fish deaths. One degree GH is fine for plants but some fish need higher levels.

I would lay odds on a chronic sore being Mycobacter - fish tb. It's communicable and it kills.

that looks fungal to me...salt salt salt
if it was bacterial by now your fish would all be infected...
I wouldn't euthanize it..

that looks fungal to me...salt salt salt
if it was bacterial by now your fish would all be infected...
I wouldn't euthanize it..
That's my thinking at the moment although I have tried fungal treatments to no success. Definitely seeing euthanasia as the least best option

I would lay odds on a chronic sore being Mycobacter - fish tb. It's communicable and it kills.
Communicable to whom? I'm in the UK so any advice would be appreciated.

That's my thinking at the moment although I have tried fungal treatments to no success. Definitely seeing euthanasia as the least best option

have you tried salt? not any brand meds...just the old plain salt?
I havent seen or heard of any cases of mycobacter in many years
but that was probably one of the first fish diseases I've heard about when I was young
to the point people were advised to use gloves to do anything in their aquariums
it looks like the fish got a beating and in humans in looks like sores
the only treatment is a whole bunch of different antibiotics
so if a fish looked like that people would just kill everything and bleach their tanks instead of risk getting it
1671822688311.png

a short description from google xD

Last edited:

Communicable to fish, and to humans with open cuts. Curable in humans, incurable in fish.

Without a microscope symptoms - a squarish raised patch. The disease spreads when the cyst opens. Some fish can live for years with it, some die very quickly.

Most reactions

Back