How To Euthanize... :(

Throwing a fish against the wall may be one of the most effective methods to euthanize a fish, but some people who truely, truely love their fish simply cannot do it. I'm not saying that the people who use this method don't love their fish, but. . . . It may be a humaine way, but really not a humaine way, ya know? I mean, the reality of it is this: Your fish is hitting a wall. And this goes for decapitating it, cutting its spinal cord, etc. And I certintly would not want to freeze to death. Some people say it is painless, but I don't have proof of this being just painless. I've seen articles about how it was painless and ones about how it wasn't; both made sense, but one is wrong, so I'd rather not use it at all. All I know about Vodka is that it burns, and that it is better off being used for me.

Clove oil seems like the only reasonable method. For me and probably most girls at least. It's that. . . girl thing, I guess. And when I think of guys I think of, "Best way to kill this fish is carnage." Of course, that isn't always true, but you get the point: Females don't like gruesome things. Anyways, clove oil just puts the fish to sleep, and it doesn't require anything that would make me cry before euthanizing my fish. I would make sure to put enough in though, as you wouldn't want it waking up.

That's just my two cents.

i know this sounds horrible. but it works. boiling water. you put a sick fish in boiling water he will die in 1-3 secs. the temp immediatley incompacitates the little brain. so the fish will barely feel the water before it is unconcious. sounds horrid i know. but i cant stand to see anything take minutes to die. or if you dont have the stomach for any aforementioned tips, there is always the toilet.

I disagree with boiling....although it maybe quick, I think there is instantaneous pain. As for oil of cloves, again, it is not an acceptable method of euthanasia according to the American Veterinary Medical Association's 2000 panel on euthanasia and I agree with their findings. I liken it to being paralyzed, conscious and unable to breath. SH

These are from Tropical Fishlopaedia: A Complete Guide to Fish Care By: Mary Bailey and Peter Burgess (PhD) Copyright: 2000:

1. ACCEPTABLE METHODS OF EUTHANASIA
  • Anasesthetic overdose. This may require a visit to the vet in countries where the necessary chemicals are available only on prescription. Phone the vet first-he may be willing to supply the chemical for home use (minimises stress for the fish by avoiding a journey to the vet), but may insist on performing the task himself. In this case, the aquarist must decide whether to take the fish to the vet or arrange a home visit. This method of euthanasia is suitable for any size of fish, and is particularly suitable where numbers are involved, e.g. where a brood is to be culled (see also below). For suitable anaesthetics and dosages, see Chapter 27.

• Concussion, with destruction of the brain. The fish should be netted and wrapped in a cloth (for grip) with its head exposed. The head is then hit forcefully against a hard object (doorstep, edge of table, large rock). Alternatively, a hard object (rock, hammer) can be brought down on the head of the fish. Fishing (angling) shops stock a type of club, known as a 'priest', used for despatching salmon, trout, etc, which is ideal for killing larger fish. Unless the head has been completely cu\rushed during the operation, then the brain should subsequently be pierced, via the top of the head, with a sharp instrument (e.g. a knife or scissors), to ensure the fish is dead and not just stunned.

• Decapitation, with destruction of the brain. If the fish is small and elongate, its head can be severed using a sharp knife or scissors. This method of euthanasia is unsuitable for larger or deep-bodied fish as the operation may take some time and cause acute suffering. The fish should b held in a cloth, as for concussion, and, because the brain may remain conscious for a while after decapitation, the brain should be pierced and destroyed, as for concussion, above.

• Predation. It is sometimes necessary to dispose of genetically deformed or stunted fry, or surplus number, by culling. (It is normally impracticable for the amateur to rear and find homes for the hundreds of thousands of fry produced by some fish.) it is generally regarded as humane to feed such fry to a piscivore (this is the normal and natural fate of most fry in the wild) with the following provisos:
    - The fry muste be healthey (apart from any genetic problems).
    - The size of the predator(s) must be such that each fish is eaten quickly.
    - The numbers of fry fed at any one time should be such that they are all eaten quickly, and none left to share the predator's tank, in terror, until it is hungry again.
    Note: in some countries it may be illegal to feed any live fish to another fish or other animals.

2. UNACCEPTABLE METHODS OF EUTHANASIA

The following methods of euthanasia cause suffering, and are totally unacceptable:
  • Flushing a live fish down the lavatory or sink waste disposal unit (see also Disposal of dead fish, Chapter 26)

• Breaking the neck without subsequent destruction of the brain; the fish may remain alive for some time, and still be conscious when its 'corpse' is disposed of.

• Suffocation, by removal of water.

• Dropping a live fish into boiling or iced water.

• Slow chilling (with or without water). (This method is often suggested in aquarium literature, on the basis that the metabolism slows and the fish slips away.) However, it is now thought that the physiological processes involved are painful and the suffering considerable.)

Diseased fish, alive or dead, should never be fed to other fish, as this may transmit infection. Corpses should be disposed of safely and responsibly as discussed in Chapter 26.

This is an exact recreation of what the book says, so some of the stuff like saying to refer to Chapter 26, should be ignored.

i see all those unacceptable ways from someone official sounding. but do they give acceptable ways? im in a situation myself. popeye, fish rot, and mouth rot. half of her face is gone. and she can barely swim.

i see all those unacceptable ways from someone official sounding. but do they give acceptable ways? im in a situation myself. popeye, fish rot, and mouth rot. half of her face is gone. and she can barely swim.
Well, first off, I would say shame on you for leaving her in such horrible water conditions or however she got the diseases. And secondly, don't boil. That's the most retarded way I have heard of. Ever. You're fish is on its way to be cooked pretty much. Disgusting.

well first of all, you dont know what you are talking about or about my water conditions. the water is in great conditions. 0 across the boards. i tried treating her with the proper meds, but it was just too late. and i realize that boiling would lead to cooking, but you dont leave them in for that long. just about 5 secs. the fastest way i know to euthenize. if you know a better way then lets see it. before you post about how you know everything, at least have a solution to go with it. im sure that you have never experienced any deaths or deseases in your impressive collection of guppies. so if you dont mind, im looking for tips from people with experience.

well first of all, you dont know what you are talking about or about my water conditions. the water is in great conditions. 0 across the boards. i tried treating her with the proper meds, but it was just too late. and i realize that boiling would lead to cooking, but you dont leave them in for that long. just about 5 secs. the fastest way i know to euthenize. if you know a better way then lets see it. before you post about how you know everything, at least have a solution to go with it. im sure that you have never experienced any deaths or deseases in your impressive collection of guppies. so if you dont mind, im looking for tips from people with experience.

(Learn to read, Monte.)
. . . water conditions or however she got the diseases
I think if you found her symptoms earlier like you should have, she may have survived, but whatever. She could have got them from other fish you failed to quarrantine for instance. I don't know.

And another quote. (Learn to read, Monte.)
You're fish is on its way to be cooked pretty much.
On its way, Monte, on its way. You're putting a live animal that can feel pain into boiling water. Sure, it's only 2 or 3 seconds, but that would be worst 2-3 seconds of that fishes life. Fast, effective, not humaine.

I don't know everything, dear. Where in my post did you see that? Please point it out to me.

I have had deaths, but no deaths due to diseases. As a matter of fact, none of my fish have ever gotten a disease. It may be just luck. I don't know. But they are taken care of the best they can be taken care of.

And the comment regarding my "impressive collection of guppies", what are you talking about?! :lol: I have never owned guppies but have been thinking of owning them if that's what you're talking about. So no, the guppies that I have never owned have never died or come up with any diseases.

i had concluded that she had the disease before i bought her. im quite obsessive when it comes to my water and any symptoms that come. I went out of town to san fran for 4 days. i came back and her eyes were popped out and her lips were jacked. i know boiling causes pain for a sec, but it IS very quick way of going. if you know a quick way of going without pain let me know. id rather feel 2 secs of pain than 10 mins of slowly dieing. sorry for my rant earlier. i just hate seeing any fish suffer from disease. i didnt quarantine because i have no way to do that yet. no extra tank for that purpose. and there was no need to quaranting any other fish because they are fine. she is the only one with any symptoms.

"Well, first off, I would say shame on you for leaving her in such horrible water conditions or however she got the diseases."

also, with respect, if you want to bash on my reading, you should brush up on grammar and sentence structure. then i wouldnt have to decipher what you were saying.

(peaceful banter, not trying to be a jerk ;) )

also, with respect, if you want to bash on my reading, you should brush up on grammar and sentence structure. then i wouldnt have to decipher what you were saying.
Oh please, just read what you've typed. Don't dis my grammar and sentence structure. I've read over my entire post and am positive even a retard can decipher what I have typed. 'Cept for you it seems.

[A]lso, with respect, if you want to bash on my reading, you should brush up on grammar and sentence structure. [T]hen wouldn[']t have to decipher what you were saying.

jc, im sorry. but if you read my post, you would realize i was joking around with you. i apologized for being brash in my earlier post and was just trying to add levity to this weird conversation. im sorry if you are unable to get over things. and just to add, you never did come up with a quick painless way to euthenize.

Let's redirect this thread back to the original topic please. There are two parallel posts here on Euthanasia and I would like to just comment on Captain Retardo's post above:
  1. Under Captain Retardo's copied page Acceptable Methods, only the first is probably the most truly 'acceptable' to perform for many aquarists. Within that choice, the best options are only available at a vet that performs fish euthanasia. Oil of cloves is NOT accepted by the AVMA as previously posted as a humane method of euthanasia.
  2. I agree that slow chilling is not humane, however, rapid and dramatic deep chilling is the only method that I would use until a well studied method is made available to the public. That's just my personal choice.
Members here should choose a method that they are comfortable with and that will give them peace of mind that they ended the life of their ailing animal with dignity. SH

hope this helps, it was written with bettas in mind but its the same for all fish

Betta Euthanasia

We all know it’s not nice when we have to let go of one of our betas, but it makes it all the worse if we are the ones who have to put them out of their suffering.

The best way I have found in done in two steps
· Put the betta to sleep
· Make sure it doesn’t wake up

This method is often thought of as mixing clove oil and vodka together. This is wrong. Clove oil must be used first, making the betta fall asleep before you add the vodka. Vodka will be very stressful for a betta if not anesthetized.
Eugenol (clove oil) is available at any pharmacy as a cure for toothache. It has been used for many years as an anesthetic for fish during tagging or surgery.
Clove oil puts the betta to sleep and makes sure it feels no pain. Be warned, the betta can still wake if taken out of the clove oil before drowning, by adding the vodka you are making sure the fish dies.

Here is how to euthanise a betta

1. Put the betta in a container of tank water but make sure to measure the amount of tank water and make a note of it. If it is a clear container please put a towel around it to calm the fish.
2. Fill a small jar with tank water but leave a gap at the top. Add 1 drop of clove oil to the jar, put the lid on and shake hard till the water turns a milky white, this means that the oil has mixed with the water. When it has turned white, place about ¼ of the mixture in with the betta. The betta will begin to fall asleep, leave for about 10 minutes after this it will look dead, but if you watch closely it may be still breathing, if it still alive get the jar and shake again and add the same amount as before and wait again.
3. Once the fish has gone to sleep on the bottom, add 20-25% vodka, i.e. if the fish is in 8oz of water add 2oz of vodka, leave the betta in there for at least 20 minutes
4. After 20 minutes check for gill movement, if you don’t see any within 60 seconds, the betta has died.

It is not essensial to add the vodka with betas as they are air breathers; this means that when they are asleep in the clove oil they would just drown peacefully. I use the vodka for my own peace of mind.

Another method is an anesthetic called Tricaine Methanosulphate (TMS). 1g of TMS in 1 liter of water makes a bath that will put the betta to sleep peacefully.

What not to do.

· One very popular way people suggest is to put the betas in the freezer, where it is said to go slowly to sleep and die without suffering. Obviously someone who has never felt the pain of truly being cold started this. What actually happens is the betta will live for quite a while because it is such a slow method? During this experience a very high level of stress and pain as the cells in it’s body slowly by ice crystals forming in their organs, until too many cells are damaged for the betas life to continue.
· Never flush a live betta down the toilet as this is very cruel, because the fish may survive a long time
· Do not simply take the betta out of water and wait for it to doe as they are air breathers, they will take along time to die by dehydrating.
· Do not drop into hot or cold water since both take a while to work. Both also cause pain and suffering.

The above examples are horrifically very common. Do not under any circumstance use any of these.

British Veterinary Zoological Society

Guidelines for Acceptable Methods of Euthanasia for Zoo, Exotic Pet and Wildlife species

No. 2: Ornamental Fish
Introduction:
There are many situations where euthanasia (humane destruction; 'putting to sleep') of an animal is necessary. It is essential to the animal's welfare, and a legal requirement, that the method chosen does not cause unnecessary suffering. This document gives Veterinary surgeons and others suggestions on current acceptable methods of euthanasia. The guidelines are for informational use only. They are not exhaustive. Other methods may occasionally be applicable.
Overview:
Euthanasia of fish is a difficult task to those not accustomed to treating these species. Problems arise mainly because of unfamiliarity of the anatomy (which limits access to sites for injection) and physiology (different response to anesthetic drugs). It is difficult to ascertain with certainty that a fish is dead rather than heavily anaesthetized (complicated by the possibility of slow metabolism of anesthetic drugs).
Suggested methods of choice:
The following methods are rapidly effective and straightforward to perform.
· Overdose of a soluble anesthetic agent added to the water (MS222, Benzocaine [in acetone /alcohol], Eugenol [clove oil])
· Intravenous overdose of anesthetic agent, primarily pentobarbitone.
· Trauma sufficient to induce complete and instantaneous loss of brainstem activity (e.g. shooting, captive bolt, massive blunt trauma, cervical dislocation or fracture)
· Dropping into liquid nitrogen to provide near instantaneous complete freezing (individuals less than 1cm max diameter only)
Methods acceptable if methods of choice not possible:
These methods are effective, but involve a prolonged (hours) delay before the animal can be pronounced dead.
· Intracoelomic overdose of pentobarbitone
· Some methods used in commercial fisheries
Methods considered unacceptable:
The following methods have been suggested for ornamental fish euthanasia in the past but should now be considered ineffective or unacceptable:
· 'Asphyxiation' (simple removal from water preventing respiratory exchange)
· Freezing (excepting method suggested above)
· Use of other anesthetic agents added to the water (Pentobarbitone, Isofluorane, Halothane)
· Trauma (other than cranial & cervical trauma as described above)
· Carbon dioxide by non-commercial methods (Alka-seltzer® tablets, soda-stream® carbonation)
Confirming death:
Death (loss of brainstem activity) is difficult to confirm in fish.
Suggested criteria to evaluate include:
· Lack of external reflexes (Movement, response to external stimuli)
· Lack of detectable respiratory activity (no spontaneous opercular movements)
· Lack of detectable cardiovascular activity (Doppler ultrasound, ultrasound, ECG)
Fish which are heavily anaesthetized will have few, if any, outward signs of activity and appear dead by the criteria above yet may regain consciousness (after, e.g. metabolizing or excreting anesthetic drugs).
Methods of ensuring a fish does not regain consciousness include:
· Do not return a fish anaesthetized by in-water methods to fresh water. Leave it in the euthanasia solution or wrap it in towelling soaked in euthanasia solution to maintain anesthesia until death occurs.
· Inject a massive overdose of intracoelomic pentobarbitone once unconsciousness has occurred.
· Once the animal is unconscious and insensitive to external stimuli, perform pithing (physical destruction of the brain tissue) or freeze the carcass.
Information with thanks to
British Veterinary Zoological Society
Fish, tanks and ponds
Kokosgoldfish
Wise geek​

Most reactions

Back