How To Create A Feeder Tank?

Mercury2234

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a predator tank and I am wanting to create a feeder tank, possibly some convict breeding. For starters, I might just have some guppies and ghost shrimps.

How do I cycle the tank with just an airstone? I am thinking of just buying a 20g tub. Obviously, it will be a fishless cycle... :good:

Thanks

You will not get a cycle with just an air stone unless you put the airstone in a corner filter or a sponge filter. 20G should be plenty for breeding some connies. They are about as easy as guppies but produce a lot more fry. The fry also grow quite quickly so be sure to feed them before they get too big for the predator.

You will not get a cycle with just an air stone unless you put the airstone in a corner filter or a sponge filter. 20G should be plenty for breeding some connies. They are about as easy as guppies but produce a lot more fry. The fry also grow quite quickly so be sure to feed them before they get too big for the predator.

Wait, so how does Pet's Mart here in the US will sell you those 1gallon to 5 gallon tanks with just an airstone and pump? Are you telling me YOU HAVE to buy a filter?

Yes you do, depending on tank size, most 2.5g betta tanks get away with daily water changes, but for the stock you want you could just get a small sponge filter.

This filter is just a sponge which tank water is driven through to catch debri, it filters it then releases clean water back into the tank. It is run with an airpump. These type of filters are the cheapest.

Whoa what are we talking about here? A 20 gallon or a 1-5 gallon?

In any case you will definitely need a filter to maintain any sort of a cycle. Since you are getting a pump either way, why not pick up a sponge filter?

You do have the option of doing massive water changes quite often instead of cycling a tank. Betta splendens breeders do it all the time for the containers they keep the growing males in. If you want a tank that is cycled and does not require frequent large water changes, you will need a filter, not just an air stone.

Most reactions

Back