How To Correctly Plant Plants?

TetraFin

Reaction score
So yesterday I went and bought some plants for my fishes, I'm going low tech, so bought 2 x crypts, 2 x anubis, 1 x java fern and 1 x bolbitus. I know some plants are not suppose to have certain bits buried, so I just want to check I've done this correctly. Crypts, java fern and bolbitus, bury them into the subsrate, so only the plants stems show. Anubis, I've just put the weights that were in the plant pots on top of the roots to hold them down, but havent actually burried them. I'll put a post up soon of the transformation, once I know I've actually done it correctly! :)

Thanks for any feed back!

For Java Fern and Anubias they need to be tied to a bit of drift wood or rock. You don't want to bury the roots of these plants.

For Java Fern and Anubias they need to be tied to a bit of drift wood or rock. You don't want to bury the roots of these plants.

Will they not root into the substrate if they are weighted down onto it?

You don't actually want them to. Their roots should not be buried but rather open to the water. The roots will actually deteriorate if buried. They will grab onto the rock or wood and hold there and grow quite nicely.

I was wondering, would java fern be happy on an artificial log rather than real driftwood?

Yes, that would work. I've seen it on all sorts of objects. Stone is a popular one as well as wood but personally I like it on wood. Fake wood will do.

Theyll be fine to attach to most hard scape, wood, rocks etc. bolbitus will need attaching to rocks too...

I only have 1 bit of bog wood in a 2 foot tank..... I can't mount all of them, anubis, bolbitus and fern on the log! :/ Seems I picked poorly in my plant/ landscape choice. What low light plants can I put directly into the substrate? I'll pull them up now and allow them to float for a day, until I have decided what to do with them. I'm now thinking though, buy bit's of slate and mount the plants to them with superglue, which will allow them to sit ontop of the substrate, and put the fern on the log.

Well, if it were me I would cut the wood into two, put one plant on each, and stack the wood in such a way as to compliment each plant.

You can also add some some rocks and bury them in the substrate and tie the java fern or anubias onto them. I have slate in my tank holding my ferns on the bottom. In my tank, I just laid the slate on the bottom, and swished a little sand over it to cover the edges. It looks very nice and gives me more spots to grow these ridiculously low maintenance plants in my tank. I started with only 2 java ferns, and they produced plantlets that I've placed in different spots in my tank, and I've actually been able to give some away to friends and to put into other tanks as they've grown so much (and I have a VERY low light set-up).

Best wishes with it. Since I've gone to plants, I've never regretted it once, and I haven't looked back. Best decision I've made in the hobby!!!

if you want plants that are easy to grow in your tank may i suggest some kind of crypts, i have two in my tank beckettii is a more redish one and nevellii is a green one both great plant check my jounral link in my sig for pictures, you can also get twisted vellis for the back that will go well thats all i can give, if you have time check my journal out link is in my signiture and may give you some more help, i grew my beckettii crypts in my tank without co2 and ferts, but are not thriving even better with co2 and ferts :) hope this helps

Most reactions

Back