How To Catch Praecox Rainbows From The Tank?

tattae

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I would like to catch all 14 of praecox rainbows from my tank. But they are so fast! My tank set up is quite busy as shown below.

wholetank3.jpg

Does anyone has a trick to catch these super fast little guys? Preferrably in a way that I don't have to rearrange the set up.

Thank you.

I prefer the lie and wait technique. Lower the net below them, and gently move it along until inevitably one swims above it and you pull the net up super wuick. That is still a fairly slow way but faster than the chase with net technique.

If you have a tank divider then you can trap them in a small part of the tank making it easier. Watch out, though - they're jumpers. I just bought 3 and when I was catching them out of the bag, they all jumped.

Just curious - why do you need to catch them?

I had to catch the same fish a while back. I got 2 nets with food in one. Place them in the tank, both facing each other with a gap of about 3 inches. Wait til there are about 4 rainbows in between the 2 nets, eating food, and close the nets together quickly. It'll only take you about 3-4 turns to catch them all.

thats a really good idea :>

I know one local fish store that keeps specific nets for each tank, IN the tank permanently, so that the fish arent so stressed/spooked by it moving.

Thank you all for the good advices.

Why do I want to take them out? ... ^^" ... Well, this is quite embarrasing ...

I went to the store.
I saw the fish.
I loved the fish.
I must have the fish.
I bought the fish.
I went back home.
I added the fish to the tank ... and now I'm not so sure if I liked them ><

lower the net in the tank then put some food in and then when the go for the food put net underneath them and lift up fast ! that way you will get them faster thats how i do it with all my fish :good:

I added the fish to the tank ... and now I'm not so sure if I liked them ><

:lol: very similar to my case too! Very nice colours on them. I just didn't think they had much of a personality. They weren't quite skittish, but always seemed as if they were just about to turn that way!

Most reactions

Back