How To Calm A Stressed Betta.

Glegorly

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Got my female yesteday and acclimated her. When I woke up this morning and turned the lights on to check on her, her colour had changed dramatically :hyper: and her stripes had gone. After a few minutes they appeared again. So I turned the lights off and boxed the tank in darkness. Came home today a few minutes ago, unboxed it and she seemed fine, then within literally a minute the stripes were back -_-

Tank is cycled so no problems there. Tank temp is hovering between 25-26C (I can raise this if need be)

Shall I just keep the tank dark for a few days? She hasn't yet eaten, just chewed and then spat out a bloodworm. She's also out of sight of my male betta who is in the tank nearby but theres a cardboard sheet so they can't see each other. She's got a heavy plant to hide in, and a Moss ball. The light in her tank isn't particularly strong, shall I just leave the tank light on?

She was probably just a little spooked by the light suddenly coming on. Females will quite often display these lines at times but it's definately nothing to worry about. Just treat her as normal and she'll soon settle in :good:

She was probably just a little spooked by the light suddenly coming on. Females will quite often display these lines at times but it's definately nothing to worry about. Just treat her as normal and she'll soon settle in :good:

Thanks for the fast reply Netty ^_^ That makes me feel a bit better. Thanks for the help.

No probs :good: I know what it's like with your first....you panic about all sorts lol We've had lots of girls in the past that seemed to have permanent stress lines but were otherwise active and healthy and others that never showed them.

No probs :good: I know what it's like with your first....you panic about all sorts lol We've had lots of girls in the past that seemed to have permanent stress lines but were otherwise active and healthy and others that never showed them.

I think its just funny how they can turn them on and off so quickly! I've also realised that the bottom half of her eye is blue :drool: for £2.95 she gets prettier by the minute!

Awww bless her. I think females are so often overlooked but they can be just as nice to watch as the males and are full of personality too. Plus the bargain price makes it even better!!!

Awww bless her. I think females are so often overlooked but they can be just as nice to watch as the males and are full of personality too. Plus the bargain price makes it even better!!!

I was planning to breed her a few weeks in the future if possible. If she is one of these females that constantly shows stripes, would I be able to go ahead with breeding her still?

I've moved her into a 6 Gal. Its got more plant cover and for a few hours last night, she seemed to calm down and they faded. But since this morning they've been visable all day.

Most reactions

Back