How To Breed Dwarf Gouamis

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DiddleBug

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Ok, so I've done some research on how to breed dwarfs, but I still have a few questions.  Is it fine to condition them together?  I'd probably have 2 females and the trio would be the only fish in the tank, besides 3 corys.  When they're conditioned I know you raise the temp to 82-ish and lower the water level.  You also need floating plants and lots of hiding spots for the female(s).  With a 10 gallon, how low do i lower the water?  (My tank is 13' tall and 10' thick.)  When I tried it 5 inches, the filter caused all the plants so go over (they were in the corner) and go up and down in the water flow.  Do I turn the filter off when they breed?  Would a sponge filter be better (i have one on hand)? 

Firstly I'd try to get some Dwarfs from a local breeders. The ones sold in the LFS are prone to Dwarf Gouramis Disease (Really a shame).
If wanting to breed I personally should stick to one male and one female, which you can condition together.
Loads of (floating)plants indeed. The floating plants are needed for building the bubble-nest. Riccia Fluitans they love for that.
The female must be able to hide or even better should be kept in another tank. If not able to, she could be killed.
With this species it isn't necessary to lower the water level. When temp raises they get in matingmood very easy. 
Using the spongefilter is a good idea. Get it in already and let it work for some weeks together with your normal filter.
Also the sponge one has to get the bacteria for nitricication in it.
Should be best to have another tank, where you'll put in your normal filter and the female in after spawning.

Though I don't keep this fish anymore, think it's one of the most beautifull (wild colour). Thinking of breeding them myself sometime.

Pretty much like bettas. Put the female in a smaller tank.

So I could get one female for my male, condition and breed them, and then move the female when they're done? I have a another tank that I could put her in. There aren't any local breeders, but I think it will be okay getting one from the LFS.
right now my make is making bubble nests even though there aren't any females. :) Poor guy. :(

Yep, let your spongefilter already run in your tank the coming weeks. When spawned you can move the female and put the normal filter in the spare tank. Hope you cam get a healthy female. Succes, Aad

Most reactions

Back