How should I store unused filters?

FishHobby99

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I have removed two 30 G Fluval backup filters from two tanks to allow new filters to be cycled for a tank on order. I have the pair in conditioned buckets of water. I am uncertain as to when I’ll return them. Do I have to feed the BB?
Thanks. 🙏🏻

Both will be returned to their original tanks where they were backup filters to other filters. By backup, I mean providing additional filtration to the goldfish & cichlid tanks. I found them on sale for 50% off.

The two new filters I’m trying to cycle are for the 125 G tank on order. ETA unknown by LFS. Any idea how long it takes to cycle a filter this way & how am I supposed to know when they‘re good to go?

I’m sorry. I’m confused too! 🤪

When you have a chance, please take a look at my thread: My 125 G Tank Poject. What to do with the filters is not mentioned, but my overall intents are, hopefully.

Here’s the deal. I have a 125 G on order. I want to cycle it by using two cycled filters. Yesterday I bought a pair of AquaClear 110’s for the new tank. I have one in the cichlid sump & the other‘s in the goldfish tank, big ugly HOBs that come well recommended.

I removed a small Fluval from the goldfish tank & another (same filter) from the cichlid tank sump. They will be returned to their original placements when the 125 arrives & the new 110s
4B194847-2967-4B21-B408-8845DFA7CD7B.jpeg
are cycled.

For now, the little Fluvels are in buckets of conditioned water. water is clear although it looks like it has a layer of film on top in the pic. I need to know if I have to feed them fish flakes or whatever to keep their BB good while they’re in the bucket.
F245DFA3-ECE5-47EB-A6EC-77B938DCA662.jpeg

Last edited:
Ahhhh, OK....do you have room to move just the media from the bucketed filters to the new filters, and their new media?...that may help, but to be honest, colonized BB can live quite a while w/out an ammonia source, so it may be pointless, anyway

Now that‘s an idea! Never thought of it. The little Fluval cartridge inserts have 2 easily removable components, a black sponge & a bag os some kind of media. ~4x6“, not very thick. The new filters are crowded with their 3 components, but I will try to add them. Which of the pair inside the little Fluval insert is more important if I can only fit in one?
THANK YOU!

Wouldn’t placing the little Fluval inserts into the big new 110s hasten cycling of the 110s?

I would cram as much into the filters as possible, or even hang the Fluval media near the filters in a mesh bag

So you’re saying the primary purpose of putting the Little Fluval inserts in or near the new filters is to keep them good & not to help cycling the 110s?

If you want to keep the "little Fluvals" out of the new filters, there are 3 things you need to worry about to keep the bacteria happy: ammonia, oxygen and water flow.

For ammonia, you can maintain the bacteria by feeding the little Fluvals 1 ppm ammonia every 3 days or so.

The more important one is oxygen, which is equivalent to having good flow of water around the filter media. I know from your journal you will probably keep these filters here 2 or 3 weeks. Depending on how much water is in the buckets, eventually the oxygen will be depleted. Bacteria can go a couple of days with no water flow/oxygen and recover, but longer than that is risky. One option is to hang the filters on the side of the bucket (making sure the intake is under water) and keep them plugged in, in essence filtering the bucket water. This will provide oxygenation and water flow.

In short: hang the filters on the side of the bucket, plug them in, and feed 1ppm ammonia every 3 days. Water flow will also make sure the ammonia reaches the filter media.

How about removing filter inserts & oxygenating with an air pump?

But what I really want to do is use the cycled filter inserts to hasten cycling the big filters. If that’s undoable, I would like to preserve them. I may be misunderstanding, but I’ve hearing of people “seeding“ a new filter with used media.

Am I making any sense? 😜

If you want to keep the "little Fluvals" out of the new filters, there are 3 things you need to worry about to keep the bacteria happy: ammonia, oxygen and water flow.

For ammonia, you can maintain the bacteria by feeding the little Fluvals 1 ppm ammonia every 3 days or so.

The more important one is oxygen, which is equivalent to having good flow of water around the filter media. I know from your journal you will probably keep these filters here 2 or 3 weeks. Depending on how much water is in the buckets, eventually the oxygen will be depleted. Bacteria can go a couple of days with no water flow/oxygen and recover, but longer than that is risky. One option is to hang the filters on the side of the bucket (making sure the intake is under water) and keep them plugged in, in essence filtering the bucket water. This will provide oxygenation and water flow.

In short: hang the filters on the side of the bucket, plug them in, and feed 1ppm ammonia every 3 days. Water flow will also make sure the ammonia reaches the filter media.
^^ This ^^

Most reactions

Back