How Pregnant Is This Guppy?

Abbskiie

Reaction score
I got this female guppy from a fish shop a week ago. She has got consderably 'plumper' in the week I've had her, particularly the last couple of days. She is currently roaming towards the bottom of the tank and chasing away any fish that come near her... can anyone advise me if she's ready to give birth yet or not?
IMG-20130211-00435.jpg

IMG-20130211-00422.jpg

IMG-20130211-00413.jpg

I would guess at two to three, maybe four days, although it is hard to be sure.

Keep an eye on her, and when her belly develops distinct 'corners (called 'squaring off') she should drop within 24 hours, but female livebearers can hold onto their fry for quite some time.

Okay thanks. I've also got another female guppy that I got at the same time who is hiding at the top of the tank, staying in the same spot and isn't letting any of the fish come within that area, she also looks more squared off. Uploading pics now...

This is the other guppy, as mentioned she is staying in the same spot at top of tank amongst the fake plant I have and wont let any other fish come near.
IMG-20130211-00439.jpg

IMG-20130211-00445.jpg

IMG-20130211-00444.jpg

She looks very close; tonight or tomorrow for her, I expect :)

Agreed, I'd be watching the second for squaring off. The first one could be a week or more depending on her overall size/age (I am guessing she is smaller still so could be less of a wait)

I'm gonna try get some better pics in a bit as one of them seems to be more squared off so soon as I have managed to get some I'll upload for some more opinions.

Wow, just put tank lights on as put her in breeder box earlier cos thought she was acting skittish and there are baby fry in their!! will take pics very soon :)

Yeah it was the second one who was looking more squared off and was hiding amongst the plant so my gut instinct said to put her in breeder box and turn the light out, so I did, turnt light on to get some better pics of her and there were baby fry in there :)

Most reactions

Back