How old is your betta?

Stayingalive

Reaction score
I had read somewhere that the average life span of a betta was 2-3 years. However, I read on this forum that someone had a betta that was 8 years old!

Is this the norm? Unusual? What is the longest you've kept a betta alive?

the norm life span for a betta is 2-3 years of age! :D

she must have ben takeing very very good care of her 8 year old betta! :unsure:

Stayingalive said:
I had read somewhere that the average life span of a betta was 2-3 years. However, I read on this forum that someone had a betta that was 8 years old!

Is this the norm? Unusual? What is the longest you've kept a betta alive?
The norm is about 2 years. Anything past that is a plus. Bettas kept in continuous premium conditions can live past 6 years. There are ones kept under laboratory conditions that have lived for about 9 years.

Its odd that some one would have a betta for 8 years. i have had a betta that died about 2 years after i got him, and ive read in several places thats his natual life-span

Paradise_Gourami said:
Its odd that some one would have a betta for 8 years. i have had a betta that died about 2 years after i got him, and ive read in several places thats his natual life-span
Big Blue (the Beta pic in my profile and as my Avatar) is 8 years old and still alive. I spend every free hour taking care of him. He's very special to me. He is now showing signs of his age...I may not get to 9 with him...But I am sure willing to try! :-( :dunno: ;)

:wub: My mom had a beautiful royal blue betta that she got from the pets store when he was little and his tail was small even. He lived [and boy did he grow] for 6yrs!! :D Maybe it might have something to do with the 10 gal tank he lived in alone most of his life, with food specailly made for bettas.

I had a betta live for almost 3 years and I must admit not always in the best tank conditions (he once lived in a saucepan for several weeks b/c I had to put my tank in storage and didn't have a bowl >_<) Squishy finally died of a tumor. He was a very beautiful blue and turquoise betta.

My boy Sparkles in between 4-5 years old. Depending on how old he was when I bought him 3 years ago. He was full grown and betweeen 1-2 years old then.

He is still going strong today although hes VERY grumpy now a days and flares at me all the time and all the things I show him through the glass, especially the camera :) lol

I've never had a betta for over a year.. which is pretty darn depressing.
I seem to do everything right, but they end up getting sick with something and dying or me having to euthanize them.

the wonderful world of necrobumping:

The art of bring a post back from the dead. ^_^

Sakura

As long as we are brining this post back to life, I'll add mine.
My brother's betta passed away 2 years ago. His name was cuebert and he lived in one of those vases with a plant on the top. We had him for six years.

All that's left now is to decide what kind of undead creature this post is.

Mine is about 1.5 to 2 years old depending on how old he was when I bought him.

And this is a really old thread.

Most reactions

Back