How Often To Feed My Fish ?

pdludbrooke

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have been feeding them twice a day, but I have read else where lots of conflicting info ????
I have
10 zebra like danios
7 cherry barbs
7 xrays

I want to give them some live food too as a treat, how often should I do this, my LFS sells live baby brine shrimp and loads of different frozen things,please give me some suggestions.
The Brine shrimp come live in sausage shaped ballon things filled with water, guessing the water is salted, is it ok to pour this in to my tank rather than try to sieve out them out, or would it be better to sieve them out through a paper coffee filter ?

Many thanks, I can't tell you how great it feels having fish, I didn't know it would feel this way, I have grown extremely fond of them like I would for a pet cat, that was not expected, feels good!!

I feed once a day like this:

Monday: TetraMin Flakes and Tetra Wafers Mix
Tuesday: TetraMin Flakes and Tetra Wafers Mix
Wednesday: Frozen daphinia
Thursday: TetraMin Flakes and Tetra Wafers Mix
Friday: TetraMin Flakes and Tetra Wafers Mix
Saturday: Deshelled peas (or some veggie)
Sunday: Frozen bloodworm

Probably more info than you wanted! :p

Also I've never fed brine shrimp but I think you are meant to seive them as I've seen the special nets for sale?

Once a day and meaty foods (I use frozen) twice a week as a treat. I also dont feed one day a week.

Better not to tip the water the live foods are in just pour it through a net over the sink then swish the net in the tank. :good:

For optimum growth and health, frequent tiny feedings are best. With that said, I feed my fish daily only. I find it too hard to feed the tiny amounts that would be ideal. I use a balanced flake food but add in some nice frozen foods once in a while as a treat.

Interesting...I feed twice a day around 7am and 7pm (lights on and lights off respectively); Tetra Prima (staple food) with a tiny pinch of flake sometimes in the morning, Prima with a little frozen most evenings (alternating between daphnia, bloodworm and brine shrimp), and catfish pellets dropped in before bed at 11pm for the nocturnals when the blue LEDs go off. Also an algae wafer on morning/evening feeds a couple of times a week. Everything is eaten, so I figure I'm not overdoing it...

Once a day is fine. The fish food manufactures and lfs want you to feed more so they can sell you more food :) Feeding more often won't hurt, it just makes more waste.

Most reactions

Back