How Often To Do A Water Change?

Tavares100

Reaction score
Hi,
I tried to do a search but it just returned too many topics. I'm just after a straight forward answer to how often i should perform a water change on my tank?

Its an established jewel rekord 70 litre running a Fluval U3 filter, stocked with;

5 x Gold barbs,
2 x Garra rufa
2 x Platys
3 x Endlers
1 x wcmm
1 x bristlenose plec
many shrimps and snails and no live plants.

I currently change 1 bucket (about 10-12 litres) a week. Is this over doing it? If so what should i be looking to do?

Thanks for the help,
Shaun.

that sounds good to me :)
i have a 64L tank and i do weekly water changes, about 25% water changes to be precise.
keep up the weekly water changes :good:

I do 40% weekly and I'd recommend you do as well. Also make sure you don't replace the filter cartridges invade you were :good:

It's a personal preference really, but I'd say a minimum amount would be 30% I like to do more to be safe.

Well i do 20% every 2 weeks and ive been doing this for many years so unless your ammonia is nuts theres no need to do it weekly

Well think about it this way if your doing weekly w/c your fish have gotten used to getting nice clean water every week but they might not like it if all of a sudden you start giving them clean water only every other week would they?
Ps. If youre doing bi-weekly w/c I'd be changing more like 40-50%+ on w/c day.

thanks for the fast replies,

I'll change slightly more than i do now and keep it weekly.

Cheers,
Shaun.

Id do two buckets out, two buckets in for that tank.

The important thing is that you're changing enough water that the nitrate is being removed quicker than it builds up.

40% for me weekly- clean one side of my filter each week- i'm using a big fluval 4 internal filter pump.

Most reactions

Back