How often should I change my filter?

Sylvia27

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi All:

I set up the tank about 6 weeks ago. The cycling process was finished after 4 weeks.

Now, I'm wondering when and how often I should change my filter.
I'm using a second nature whisper power filter for a 20 gallon tank.

I put ammo chips in the filter pouch and right now, there is a nitro-zorb pouch in the filtration unit too.

I'm afraid to do something wrong by cleaning the unit or taking something out.

My tab water, as I posted in a separate thread has an ammonia level of 1.5.

Sylvia

I dont know about that filter, but heres some general advice:
Clean the filter media in tank water. Not tap water.
Siphon off some water into a bucket and clean the media in that, its best for the filter.
As for replacing, replace some NOT ALL of the media only when you need to. For example, if your filter uses sponges, then replace them only if they are falling to pieces, and do so by replacing half at a time, to allow the good bacteria to populate the new media.

I really dont understand these filters that suggest changing the media regularly, ive never seen anything like that here in the UK. From what i understand these filters only provide mechanical and chemical filtration in the form of floss and carbon leaving the biological filtration to be taken care of by the bacteria present in the tank, IMO this is a very bad design and the best place for such filters would be the nearest dustbin. A good well designed filter will utilise mechanical and biological filtration with chemical filtration being a optional extra, there is no need to use carbon unless you have chemicals in the water you want to remove, ie a medication at the end of the course. I would suggest finding a filter which has a minimum of two layers of foam/sponge media and a floss pad as the filter media with the option to add a carbon pad if needed, then all you have to do is wash the media in tankwater every few weeks to keep it free of dirt.

I use Bio-Bag from Tetra, produced for this filter.

I will clean the filtration unit in tank water. That's a good tip!
But how often do I replace this cartridge?

---------------------------------------------------
Whisper® Bio-Bag® Cartridges complete the Whisper® Power Filter package for a clean, easy-to-maintain aquarium. Filled with Ultra-Activated® carbon, the ready-to-use disposable single packs remove waste particles, odors and discoloration, and are easily changed once a month. The Whisper® Bio-Bag® multi-packs come unassembled and offer economical pricing on larger quantities.

It is recommended that you replace your Whisper® Bio-Bag® when water begins to overflow excessively from the Wonder Tube® chamber.

http://tetracare.com/catalog/product.aspx?id=56

Most reactions

Back