How much to feed betta fish?

biofish

Fish Addict
Tank of the Month 🏆
2x Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Saw someone else post that they feed their betta 2-3 pellets a day while someone else said that they feed them 6-8 a day and I googled it and it said to feed your betta 3-10 pellets once or twice a day and now I’m sweating😶😶😶

I’ve had three bettas (lost one to dropsy after 10 months and one has a tumor on his jaw and started tail biting after a year and half. He’s still alive but he’s not doing good. And the last one is still in perfect health). Each one was/is fed 4 Hikari Betta Bio-Gold Baby Pellets once a day in the morning because that’s what my LFS suggested and even though I’ve since learned better than to blindly trust them, I never stopped to consider the betta food intake as part of that.

Is that enough? And I guess while I’m here is there any better food to feed them?

Last edited:
I think I’m gonna try feeding 3 in the morning and 3 in the evening and see how that goes.

This is my little man Indigo and his little pouty lips. (Second pic was when I first bought him and the first is him now. Much more blue! Less white. I miss his little pout lips which have darkened as he relaxed but I love him. He’s in my kitchen and loves to watch me cook and do the dishes)

Attachments

• 725BED6F-38EA-4BE6-80F9-2A6490221BC5.jpeg
    725BED6F-38EA-4BE6-80F9-2A6490221BC5.jpeg
    289.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 0C56D3E3-9405-46CF-A146-C884D02DB43A.png
    0C56D3E3-9405-46CF-A146-C884D02DB43A.png
    599.6 KB · Views: 36
I tend to watch my betta's stomach and behavior to gauge when he's had enough. I look for a slightly rounded belly after a feeding that goes back down to normal size by his next feeding. I feed 2x per day and depending on how hungry he is and what I'm feeding he gets more or less 3-4 pellets per meal. He's also a very active plakat so his body digests the food with no issues. Some less active bettas may not need as much food. Just play around with the amount to get a general idea of the right range for your betta.

As for food recommendations nutrafin bug bites is a good insect based food. They have a betta formula but I prefer to use the s/m cichlid formula because the granules aren't as teeny tiny and I have a big male. Frozen foods are great to add to your rotation too. Things like bloodworm, brine shrimp, daphnia, and pretty much any insect larvae.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back