How Much Tap Safe/dechlorinator?

chubbs9

Reaction score
as title peeps,my tank is all running good at the moment :)
all i wanna know is,when i do a water change,do i put the right amount of tap safe in to the water i have replaced?or do i put in enough for the whole tank?

cheers for any help or replies :)

cheers

chubbs

If you're using buckets, then just dechlorinate each bucket before you add it to the tank.

If you use a hose for refilling, add enough dechlor for the whole tank before you start refilling :good:

cheers fluttermoth :)much appreciated :)

cheers

chubbs

oh just to add mate,what about if i know how much water is coming out?sorry for being a pain matey.

cheers

chubbs

you could spill horribly into your tank and not need to preform a emergency water change. ALMOST a non issue. ALMOST. lets not get carried away.
lest we figure you have way to much money and are just wasting the resource...
yeah its that easy to over do it. or not

what about if i know how much water is coming out?sorry for being a pain matey.
I'm not sure quite what you mean there, sorry! Can you clarify for me?

You're not being a pain, we all come here to help out :good:

what about if i know how much water is coming out?sorry for being a pain matey.
I'm not sure quite what you mean there, sorry! Can you clarify for me?

You're not being a pain, we all come here to help out :good:
what i mean is if i know im taking out 40 litres can i treat for 40 litres with the tap safe or do i put in the treatment for the whole tank which is 300 litres?i have been doing it the first way and putting in the right ammount for what i take out.

thanks again fluttermoth.

chubbs

Oh, I see :)

If you're going to be adding the dechlorinator to the tank before your start refilling it, then you need to use enough for the whole 300l. That's because some of the dechlor gets 'bound up' by organic compounds that are in your tank, but not in the tap water. It doesn't make any difference how much water you've taken out, whether 40l or 150l, you still add enough dechlor for the whole 300l to the tank.

If you're dechlorinating the tap water in a bucket and then adding it to the tank, then you only need to dechlorinate each bucket as there won't be enough organic stuff present to bind up any of the dechlor.

Hope that makes better sense!

tap safe is seriously not easy to work out how much to dose as its done in inner or outer capfuls, not specific ml... personally i do it for the whole tank atm till i can get more prime... however if someone can tell me how much i need to use per 10 litres then i'd do it that way

Are you sure it doesn't say anywhere on the bottle how much the capfuls hold? If not, then you could pour a capful out and measure it in teaspoons. Then you can work out roughly how much you need.

Or have you got any plastic syringes about? I get mine from eBay, and they're very handy to have about, for measuring dechlor and meds.

i used to have one but its goe missing... all the bottle says is inner cap treats 45l outer treats 225l... gonna have to measure it

Most reactions

Back