How much do you pay for fish?

connorlindeman

Plant Man
Contest Moderator
5x Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting to see how much everybody pays for fish around the world.
Let's do something simple like the Neon Tetra. Those are pretty popular so everybody should have an idea how much they cost.

Here in NJ I pay 3.99 per fish for good quality fish. (not petco)

Your turn!

Depends on the fish and the store.

I've been looking for ottos to give some company to the lonely one I've got for weeks, the chain stores haven't had any in over a month. Today I went to a local store and found plenty there. $4.50 each, at the chain stores they're $3.50.

I also saw neons today, at both petco and this LPS. At petco they're $2.99, at this place it's $3.99. I bought a small air stone and tubing there and some plants a couple of months ago. The stuff was at least 50% more expensive, and the plants about 20 to 30%, like the fish I just mentioned. I'm not into expensive fish, but I'll gladly pay a bit more for any of them if they're healthier. If these ottos (3) turn out healthy, I will definitely shop there for the neons I want. The guy even was receptive to trading with me (plants for feeding his goldfish) so I'm happy I went back again today after so long.

Oh, forgot to mention that when I got home I found a fry, big enough already that it can eat regular food, it obviously has survived living in the LPS community tank (which had angels and these ottos), so I'm excited to see what it grows up to be. I've obviously named it Hitchhiker.

My fish supplier has Neon's starting at £1.14 ($1.44) each for medium sized ones to £2.10 ($2.65) for large ones

Multiples.....£8.73 ($11.01) for 10 medium or £19.95 ($25.17) for 10 large

Usually the price for a neon fluctuates between $3-5 where I am. Very rarely does it go to $4.99

I haven't looked at the price of neons for ages but one shop sort of near me has a price list on-line. They are currently charging £1.00 ($1.26) per fish or 10 for £9.00 ($11.36)

Interesting that their multibuy prices are for 10 for neons and cardinals and 4 or 5 for other shoaling species. One nearby shop charges so much per fish or 10% off if you buy 5 or more. That's a much more sensible way of selling shoaling fish.

Here, because I am off the beaten track with a tiny airport that isn't good for cargo, they are trucked in once a week. $5 to $7 each.

If I remember correctly, I believe my LFS was charging either $3.99 or $4.99 for wild caught neon tetras.

$3.99 seems to be the baseline for any "affordable" fish including neons here. If the survival rate was higher it would not hurt so much. I drove to a distant branch for a special on juvenile white clouds @ 0.79 and the scooper was generous, so I did well and the WCMM are very healthy.

Neons are usually around $2.50 at my LFS. They got up to $6 a piece when they struggled with having things shipped during quarantine. I think that the cheapest I’ve seen them was 5 fish fir $4. About three times a year they run that sale on alllll their tetras and some of their raspboras and cories. I remember buying 15 bloodfin tetras for $12, it was insane.

Most reactions

Back