How Many Times Can You Medicate?

vanvran

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My 4 month old dumbo betta developed signficant fin shredding in the tail and anal fins.  He always had an appetite, but was hanging behind the heater much of the time. I did the recommended cycle of Triple Sulfa, and he improved, however a month later, he seemed to get worse, so I used Erythromycin.   Again, he became more active, and his fins looked healthier.  Now, 2 weeks later, even his pectoral fins are showing missing fins. I am beside myself.  He is the sole resident in a 5 gallon heated (82) tank with a very mild filter (that I took from a 2 gallon tank).  I change his water (30%) once a week. There's no ammonia, and nitrates are 0.  Should I do another round of erythromycin?  How many times do you medicate fish before you stop?  If I stop, surely, he will not survive.

If he's got fin rot, the best medicine is actually pristine, warm water, so frequent water changes help. If he's hiding behind the filter, is there any chance his fins are actually getting caught in the filter intake? Perhaps take some old tights or hose or whatever they're called and slip this over the intake so his fins are not getting damaged. 

Have you checked for harsh decorations? If you drag those hose over any decorations and they snag, then they could be injuring your fish.

Consider adding Atison's betta spa. It contains tannins and other good stuff which can promote healing. A link to Amazon:http://www.amazon.com/OCN-COND-ATISONS-BETTA-SPA/dp/B0042W09S0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393287732&sr=8-1&keywords=betta+spa

Typically, medicate until symptoms clear up, but it appears that there is an underlying cause to this fish's fin rot. How did you cycle this tank? Any nitrites, by any chance?

attibones, thanks for the response.  I made sure all of his plants are very soft, due to his finnage.  He actually hangs behind the heater, not the filter.  There are no nitrites or nitrates. On another forum, I posted pictures, and was advised that he was a tail biter, and that I shouldn't medicate unless there were signs of infection.  I don't think tail biting is the issue.  It seems that when I moved him from his 1.5 gallon tank into the larger tank, his fins started to deteriorate, even though the filter action is much less (using the same filter for the small tank in the 5 gallon tank), and the temp is the same.  It was suggested that I didn't give him enough time to acclimate to the larger tank.  I will get the beta spa you mentioned - is that anything like Melafix or Aquarisol-- I have both of those.

Melafix is not recommended for bettas as it messes with the labrynth organ. Betta spa is, I believe, a concoction of catappa leaves, maybe betta fix, some other stuff. I don't know what all is in it, but I've heard excellent things about it. Can you post a picture of your boy? I may be able to tell you for sure if he's biting his tail or if he's got fin rot.

Go ahead and start with frequent water changes. Although your water quality appears to be spot on, the fresh water will help replenish him.

If he is biting his tail, he is probably bored or stressed. You could try rearranging decor, give him some new snail friends or perhaps some new plants. They are very curious little guys.

attibones, I hope this link works!

Here's a clearer Pic:

It's hard to tell from these photos, but I don't see any fin curling. None of his fins appear to be darkening in color. That would lead me to believe he is biting his tail. However, the fins look evenly damaged (though they really don't look all that bad). WildBetta will be able to help. I'll bring her in this direction.

Right, there isn't any darkening anywhere that I can see, however, the fact that the pectoral fins are starting to show missing areas, is worrisome.

It is. Bettas don't typically nip the pectoral fins. I messaged WB. I'm sure she will help out soon when she logs on next.

Does your betta lay on the heater? Mine did and the same thing was happening. I built a cover for my heater out of plastic mesh and kept his water clean. His fins improved. You should also be showing nitrates if you tank is cycled.

Do you have a picture of before the fin damage?  In my opinion your boy does not really look bad and I see no signs of fin rot.  It looks more like fin biting to me.  Bettas will bite every fin they can get a hold of and since this boy's pectoral fins are really large he has an ability to get a hold of them so I am not surprised to see damage there.  

Do you have a thermometer to make sure your tank is the correct temp or are you going by the temp you set the heater to?   Do you have any places that he can hide like a cave of some sort?  Normally when a fish hides behind or near the heater, the water is not heating properly and they will stay in the warmest location they can which is nearest the heater or there is nowhere else for them to hide.   

I highly recommend you stop any and all medications at this time.  Medicating a fish is not something you want to do without knowing what is really going on since you can do more damage than good by throwing meds at them.

Hi Wildbetta, thanks for the input.  I have a clay pot for him, two soft silk plants and a large glass ball for him.  The tank is very warm, and as a matter of fact, I put two thermometers on the outside of the tank to be sure it is properly set at 82.  It's toasty warm throughout.  I've seen him sticking his nose under the clay pot, his body curled in half.  Maybe he's secretly chewing but I've never seen him biting his fins.  I was just about to start him on meds again, so I will hold off.  What should I look for if medication is needed?

Medication will not be needed unless you actually see other problems going on.  Fin issues rarely if ever require any kind of medication and respond the best to warm very clean water and good food.  
As far as the thermometers are concerned, the ones that are outside the tank are not as good as having one of the glass ones that stays inside the tank.  I always keep mine at the farthest corner in the front of the tank from the heater so that I get an accurate reading of tank temp.  The ones that stick to the outside can be accurate at times but are affected by the room temperature as well.
A lot of times you will never see a tail biting betta actually bite his fins and once they start biting it is very hard to get them to stop with some of them never stopping.  

Wildbetta, I know I took photos of him when I purchased him, however, they were on my old phone.  He had perfect finnage.  I wouldn't buy a betta who had even one split, as I have dealt with fin rot before, and didn't want to start off with problems.  It's torture to see him look like this.  He really looks as if he's going to lose all his tail fins.  Then what would happen to him?  He can't swim if that happens, can he?

I've never seen him do that. He's been hanging up front the last few days.  He flies up for his food, he dives for his food.  He also lays on top of his silk plants.  There are some days when he hangs behind the heater too.

I'm not sure how to wrap anything around the heater.  If anyone has a picture they can share, that'd be helpful.

Most reactions

Back