How many tetras in a 150L tank?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I get what you are saying here trust me i do but if it were just about best interest of the fish they wouldnt be in a glass box in our house, for instance in the wild neons live in shoals of 100s yet in my 20 gallon i only have 10, sure 10 is better than 6 and way better than 3 but whats best for the fish is for it to be in a river in the amazon in a shoal of 100 neons. Part of fish keeping is making concessions on whats best for us and whats best for the fish and we usually win out because whats best for the fish isnt being kept in a glass box in our house.

I'm sure you knew I would pick up on this. ;)

I don't subscribe to this at all. There is enough scientific evidence that aquarium fish can be as healthy and well balanced in an aquarium as they are in the wild. The issue is knowing what the individual species "expects" and needs, and ensuring that is provided. Providing for that is meeting what is best for the fish. Obviously we still cannot know how the fish "thinks" about all this, and we never will unless fish learn to speak our language. It is easier to read signs in mammals than it is in fish, but that does not discount the fact that we can know the expected results of providing or not providing what the fish deems critical to its well-being.

Lifespan is one measure of a fish's well-being, perhaps the most important because it depends upon the fish's physiological functions and as these are internal it is impossible for any but a qualified biologist to discern these upon necropsy. A lifespan equalling or surpassing the norm for a species should mean the fish is in good health. And good health means little stress. Stress causes 95% of all disease in aquarium fish. Understanding the species' natural behaviours and requirements is key. The closer we approximate the needs of the fish, the less stressed the fish will be and that means better health.

I'm sure you knew I would pick up on this. ;)

I don't subscribe to this at all. There is enough scientific evidence that aquarium fish can be as healthy and well balanced in an aquarium as they are in the wild. The issue is knowing what the individual species "expects" and needs, and ensuring that is provided. Providing for that is meeting what is best for the fish. Obviously we still cannot know how the fish "thinks" about all this, and we never will unless fish learn to speak our language. It is easier to read signs in mammals than it is in fish, but that does not discount the fact that we can know the expected results of providing or not providing what the fish deems critical to its well-being.

Lifespan is one measure of a fish's well-being, perhaps the most important because it depends upon the fish's physiological functions and as these are internal it is impossible for any but a qualified biologist to discern these upon necropsy. A lifespan equalling or surpassing the norm for a species should mean the fish is in good health. And good health means little stress. Stress causes 95% of all disease in aquarium fish. Understanding the species' natural behaviours and requirements is key. The closer we approximate the needs of the fish, the less stressed the fish will be and that means better health.
Totally agree and as you well know as i over stocking incorrect stocking leads to lots of stress. Good discussion!:)

We are now considering a 100 liter (25 gallon) tank, but we still have not had the dimensions. Assuming this tank is not minimum 36 inches (90 cm) in length, it is not large enough for White Skirt Tetras. They need more space as they are much more active than your neon tetra for example. And they need more than six...this species (the black or white are the same natural species) is feisty, and fin nipping is not uncommon. Thus it needs a larger group, say 8-9 absolute minimum. But there is not sufficient space here for that, given their size, so you should look at other tetras.

If you get less active tetras to complement the neon tetras you already have (and 19 is a good number) you will be able to have more of them. I think I tried to explain earlier in this thread that stocking is much more involveed than simpply fish mass to water volume. And this is one reason the inch/per/gallon or similar ideas do not work. Example, consider cardinal tetras and rummynose tetras...both fish willmax out at roughly the same mass/water ratio, but you can have far more cardinals in a given tank than you can rummynose. The other aspects of their inherent behaviours dictate the numbers.

The tank is 90x25x45. I've never had a problem with the skirts nipping the neons but if I ever do I'll make sure to separate them asap. Thanks for your message!

The tank is 90x25x45. I've never had a problem with the skirts nipping the neons but if I ever do I'll make sure to separate them asap. Thanks for your message!

You've missed the point that there isno space in this tank for the Skirt tetras. It is a mistake to have them.

You've missed the point that there isno space in this tank for the Skirt tetras. It is a mistake to have them.
you said they need at least 90cm which they have?? so there is enough space? but I should have at least 8 for them to be happy. so 10 neons and 8 skirts should do the trick?

you said they need at least 90cm which they have?? so there is enough space? but I should have at least 8 for them to be happy. so 10 neons and 8 skirts should do the trick?

There are 19 neons so they will be better (healthier, less stressed, more "normal") if they stay at 19. Beyond that, whatever.

Most reactions

Back