How Many Small Fish For A 56l Rekord 60

spooks

Reaction score
Hi,

I am planning on stocking my tank with:

8-10 cardinal tetra's
3 galaxy rasboras
1/2 other small fish

The tank is 2 feet long and will have a variety of plants and bogwood in. What do you guys think? I also have a question about bogwood, I will be putting a selection of bogwood in the tank and I am aware that bogwood can lower the ph, does anyone know how much it actually lowers it by?

Well, technically, it would be overstocked. 56 litres is about 15 US gal and the recommended stocking level - for a new tank is 1 inch of fish per US gal.
Cardinals can grow to 2 inches - so 8 of them is pushing it without the other fish.

Personally, though, I wouldn't have a problem with that stocking level once the tank is well established and if it was heavily planted - none of those fish are big waste producers. The only thing is - the galaxy rasboras are shoaling fish and would prefer to be in a larger group and they are now endangered in the wild - because of all the interest in them. Unless you're seriously thinking of breeding them I would choose another of the small rasboras, like the spotted (Rasbora maculata) and have six of them and six cardinals.

Alternatively, forget the rasboras altogether and have some of the tiny corys for the bottom of the tank. Pygmy corys are lovely.

I'm not familiar with Bolivian red rams - but I'm presuming they are the same size as ordinary Bolivians. A German ram would be smaller.

If you're going to stock at a higher level than 1 inch per gallon - do it gradually and allow the tank to mature before you are fully stocked. Keep the tank well planted (it helps to keep ammonia levels down); test the water regularly when the fish are first added - and keep up with the water changes.

Different bog woods will affect the water pH to different extents - depends on the type, how it has been treated before you get it and how you treat it before it goes in the tank. The fish you are planning on getting like acidic water, though - so it shouldn't be a problem, unless your tap water is already very acidic.

Edit: You edited your post when I wasn't looking. What happened to the Bolivian ram? :p

Hi, thanks for the reply and your good advice. I took the Ram because it grows to 6-7cm in length when fully grown apparantly? Here is the link: http://www.tropicalfish4u.co.uk/acatalog/Red_Ram.html

I hear what you are saying with regard to the of the cardinals, I didn't realise they could get that big to be honest! I also didn't realise that galaxy rasboras were that endangered :eek: I will check out the corys and have a think.

Perhaps I should pick a smaller shoaling fish than the cardinal tetra...?

I think a lot of people forget that cardinals get bigger than neons - because when you see them as youngsters in the lfs they are all about the same size.

That red ram is very pretty :wub:

Anyway, you're doing the right thing - researching a lot first :good:

Okay, I have had a bit of a rejig of the fish I *may* get. Tell me your thoughts.

8x Galaxy Rasbora (Max size is 2cm = 16L of water required)
2x Diamond Tetra (Max size 5cm = 10L of water required)
1x Grey Cory (Max size 5cm = 5L of water required)
1x Bolivian Red Ram (Max size 7cm = 7L of water required)

Total fish 12 needing 38L of water. Does this sound about right?

Ok, you still need to re-arrange a bit. Cory's need to be in a group of at least 3 - they are social little buggers and need friends! Also, diamond tetras - prefer to be in a group of 6!
I think you should try 6 rasbora's, 6 pygmy cory's and the bolivian ram. IMO that is! I know that takes out the diamond tetra, but they really need to be in a bigger group. HTH!

I have 2 pieces of Mopani Bogwood in my small tank and it lowered the PH by 0.4, if that helps :good:

Ok final choice hopefully....

10x Galaxy Rasbora (Max size 2cm = 20L of water needed)
1x Bolivian Red Ram (Max size 7cm = 7L of water needed)
3x Schwartzi Cory's (Max size 7cm = 21L of water needed)

Total 14 Fish needing 48L of water which leave 8L of water for bogwood and plants. What do you think? Hopefully that should be ok.

looks great! :thumbs:

*EDIT* Keep in mind the inch/gallon is just an idea. it gives beginners a general idea of how many fish they can get. Once you are up and running smoothly, you may be able to add 1 or 2 more small fish. Assuming that you keep up with your water changes and you are running a good filter.
Also, don't forget to stock slowly! good Luck!

*EDIT* Keep in mind the inch/gallon is just an idea. it gives beginners a general idea of how many fish they can get. Once you are up and running smoothly, you may be able to add 1 or 2 more small fish. Assuming that you keep up with your water changes and you are running a good filter.

My estimates were done off 1cm per litre rather than 1inch per fish, so hopefully I should have plenty of room in there. I am guessing after my fishless cycle I can just put all of the fish in at once?

My estimates were done off 1cm per litre rather than 1inch per fish, so hopefully I should have plenty of room in there. I am guessing after my fishless cycle I can just put all of the fish in at once?

Even after a complete cycle I wouldnt add them all at once as this will cause a big amonia spike. Each time you add fish it causes a mini cycle and the bacteria needs to catch up. Add one group 1st and allow them to settle and the paremeters also, once there normal add a few more or another small group and so on.

Good luck. I have corys, they are cute little things though mine never group together for some reason :blink: lol.

ETA I would perhaps add 1st the corys then 5 rasbora then another 5 rasbora then the ram. Just a suggestion.

As Andrea said, deffo don't add all the fish at once. That would cause a huge ammonia spike. Which isn't good! She has the right idea. If you don 't have a test kit already you should get one so you can keep an eye on your parameters while adding new fish.

As Andrea said, deffo don't add all the fish at once. That would cause a huge ammonia spike. Which isn't good! She has the right idea. If you don 't have a test kit already you should get one so you can keep an eye on your parameters while adding new fish.

I'm pretty sure that the amount of ammonia I have been putting in doing a fishless cycle is far greater than the amount that will be created by the fish? All of the fishless cycle guides I have read have said that once the cycle is completed you can put your full load of fish in. Obviously if I have got the wrong end of the stick I will just put them in a few at a time but I was kinda hoping to order them all online in one go.

Cheers,

spooks.

Spooks - that makes sense and you will be saving on shipping if you get them all in one go. It is possible to add them all at once, but you may have to do daily water changes for a bit to keep your ammonia at 0. Hopefully some others will chime in on this for you!

What's the point of fishless cycling if you don't fully stock at once? The whole point of the process is to build up a huge excess of bacteria, far more than you'll need to deal with your fishes' waste. That way they are more than capable of dealing with all the fish waste arriving in one go. If you stock over a couple of weeks loads of bacteria will die off and you'll be doing a cycle with fish which is what you wanted to avoid :crazy: I would fully stock at most over a three day period if I was you. I fully stocked my tank from day 1 after fishless cycle and only lost one fish.

:good:

Most reactions

Back