How Many More?

guppy2002

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i know i need more rasboras and ottos. but how many? its a 10 gallon with  3 guppies(2 are females), 2 harlequin rasboras and an otto catfish. I want to have a small school of rasboras, but I dont want my otto to get lonely either. I was thinking 3 or 4 more rasboras and 1 more otto. how does that sound? how many ottos do you need together? is 2 enough?

I would definitely get 4 more rasboras to complete the shoal.  Otos can be kept by themselves; they definitely prefer a much larger tank, so I advise against getting another.

With your additions, I think you'll be reaching a point of "fully stocked", so this addition might be your last advisable stocking.

Space wise you can push it with bottom dwellers and suckerfish like otos as long as you have the tank stable with a thriving biofilter. Otos are very sensitive to water quality. The other thing to watch out for with otocinclus is they can be a bit algae exclusive in their feeding. Some won't eat substitutes such as algae wafers- with a number of them you will probably need to offer blanched zucchini or similar regularly. Starvation is a major cause of oto losses. That said, yes they are much better in groups.
You will likely have many (many!) more guppies pretty soon, you may want to rethink adding the rasboras and perhaps trade the ones you have toward the additional otos (if you aren't overly attached). One drop of guppy fry will overstock a ten gallon in a few short weeks. I would opt for a group of 3-4 otos and rehome the rasboras.
Good luck with what you decide, it's always tough to work with the limits of a small tank.

i am not actually that worried about the guppies reproducing. i have had the 3 of them for over a year now with no babies.

Never mind! :) ......a few more Rasboras then. Let the oto fly solo and have all the algae.

Otocinclus are schooling fish, he will be one lonely, unhappy little guy! Maybe you can re-home him with someone who has a school of otos? Or exchange him at your LFS?

Most reactions

Back