How Many Dwarf Chain Loach For A 60l?

Cro-Baller

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I want to put some Dwarf Chain Loach in my daughters tank to keep the snail problem at bay. The tank is 60L and currently houses;

6 Guppies (All male)
5 Glowlight Tetra's
1 Frog
Some Cherry Shrimp

How many Dwarf Chain Loach can I add? I was thinking about 4, 6 would be better but I think that may be too much?

I've just googled these fish and they look so sweet. According to the site I found them on, they love to shoal and need to be kept in a minimum group of 5. They max out at 2.5 inches so that would work out around 12.5 inches of fish. Your 60l is around 13 to 14 gallons?

With excellent filtration and lots of water changes you may get away with it, however, they look pretty active so maybe a larger tank would be better. Also I read only put in a mature tank, that means cycled and up and running for at least six months.

Personally, I'd get a couple of assassin snails to clear up that problem, rather than chemicals which sometimes mess up the filter media.

My favourite choice for a tank of under 20g has got to be pitbull plecs or ottos.

I've just googled these fish and they look so sweet. According to the site I found them on, they love to shoal and need to be kept in a minimum group of 5. They max out at 2.5 inches so that would work out around 12.5 inches of fish. Your 60l is around 13 to 14 gallons?

With excellent filtration and lots of water changes you may get away with it, however, they look pretty active so maybe a larger tank would be better. Also I read only put in a mature tank, that means cycled and up and running for at least six months.

Personally, I'd get a couple of assassin snails to clear up that problem, rather than chemicals which sometimes mess up the filter media.

My favourite choice for a tank of under 20g has got to be pitbull plecs or ottos.
Thanks for the reply.

The tank has filtration adaquated for a tank 3 times it's size, a Fluval 304. The filter is as mature as it gets, well over 6 months old and used to be on a high stocked 240L. Water changes are 50% per week. They shoal in the mid area of the water column which I am keeping clear deliberatley with the planting for that exact reason, except in the back corners where I'm planting a couple of Crypts. I won't use chemicals that's for sure, I had thought of Assassin snails but my daughter doesn't like them (it is her tank after all) and if I did it would be just the one otherwise I'd replace one snail problem with another. :crazy:

I think I'll go with 4 for now and see how they go, I have 4 Clown Loach in my larger tank and they shoal lovely together and are very happy.

Most reactions

Back