How Long Should My Fish be in Total Darkness?

I haven’t read all the stuff because there is way to much but as for the comments about “plants being there to serve your fish and not the other way around”
If people plants these tanks (I’m talking a fully planted tank) they have to realize the consequences of what happens when the lights go out... all those wonderful plants you have begin to release CO2 and take in O2.... which is obviously not good for fish....

This would not apply to people who have a few low light plants but many people with fully planted tanks run their lights 6 on 6 off 6 on 6 off.... this tricks the plants into 2 photo periods per day.... instead of them releasing CO2 for 8-10 hours at a time...
And I disagree that fish only need 6 hours of darkness... the general population of people keeping fish usually turn their tank lights off for 10-12 hours a day.... this being done to prevent the expaination that someone was trying to explain about going from total darkness to bright light and vice versa.... I’d you turn your tank lights off for 12 hours a day and leave them on for 12 hours a day then you are preventing this by using the day light... and not having to worry about If lamps and such are on before your tank lights come on and off.... for example mine shut off at 6pm (still daylight but it’s getting dark) then they come back on at 6am starting to become day light already at that point... so therefore my rooms are already starting to light up or dim down...before and after lights on and off.... the only thing I have to do is adjust them about twice a year when the seasons change here and the day light hours change... so I’m not worried about spending extra money on lamps and such being on.... and my tanks are all on timers so I don’t even have to think about it... but If it were my fish I would aim for closer to 9-10 hours of darkness... I’ve been doing this a looooong time and even before automatic lights and such this is how I have always kept my lights... and have always had healthy fish...
And as mentioned at the beginning somewhere you should really look at your stocking... several of those fish shouldn’t be together in that small of a tank... if you were talking a 50g the betta would probably be fine and the loach definitely has to go for a couple reasons... shouldn’t be in that tank and you really should keep at least 3 (keep in mind they can grow to 5”) and your better off to have even more than 3...

I have a Betta his light schedule is natural light 9am to 3pm lights on 3pm to 12am complete dark tank covered from 12am to 9pm have night light on 1 hour before covered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven’t read all the stuff because there is way to much but as for the comments about “plants being there to serve your fish and not the other way around”
If people plants these tanks (I’m talking a fully planted tank) they have to realize the consequences of what happens when the lights go out... all those wonderful plants you have begin to release CO2 and take in O2.... which is obviously not good for fish....

This would not apply to people who have a few low light plants but many people with fully planted tanks run their lights 6 on 6 off 6 on 6 off.... this tricks the plants into 2 photo periods per day.... instead of them releasing CO2 for 8-10 hours at a time...
And I disagree that fish only need 6 hours of darkness... the general population of people keeping fish usually turn their tank lights off for 10-12 hours a day.... this being done to prevent the expaination that someone was trying to explain about going from total darkness to bright light and vice versa.... I’d you turn your tank lights off for 12 hours a day and leave them on for 12 hours a day then you are preventing this by using the day light... and not having to worry about If lamps and such are on before your tank lights come on and off.... for example mine shut off at 6pm (still daylight but it’s getting dark) then they come back on at 6am starting to become day light already at that point... so therefore my rooms are already starting to light up or dim down...before and after lights on and off.... the only thing I have to do is adjust them about twice a year when the seasons change here and the day light hours change... so I’m not worried about spending extra money on lamps and such being on.... and my tanks are all on timers so I don’t even have to think about it... but If it were my fish I would aim for closer to 9-10 hours of darkness... I’ve been doing this a looooong time and even before automatic lights and such this is how I have always kept my lights... and have always had healthy fish...
And as mentioned at the beginning somewhere you should really look at your stocking... several of those fish shouldn’t be together in that small of a tank... if you were talking a 50g the betta would probably be fine and the loach definitely has to go for a couple reasons... shouldn’t be in that tank and you really should keep at least 3 (keep in mind they can grow to 5”) and your better off to have even more than 3...

There are a couple of very inaccurate points in your post. You say you haven't read earlier posts in this thread...I really suggest you read my previous posts #25 and #26 as they clearly explain the issue. I'd be happy to explain further if asked.

Most reactions

Back