How long should i wait

a_w_jr

Reaction score
First off- what a great place, thank already for some helpful info!

My wife and I have 100 gal tank (this is my first, she had a tank as a kid) We started a fresh water tank. The tank was practically given to us(spent 100.00 for tank, filter, lights, heater, rocks, the works) We filled it and waited 2 weeks before we put in our 1st set of fish, plants and decor.

Currently have 2 molly's, 2 swordtails, 2 micky mouse, so here my question (finally, sorry but i'm excited, my parents never let me have fish - seriously my mom said and i quote "they suck your money away!")

How long should i wait before i start adding more fish? Plus any recommendations, thanks in advance

AW

To answer this, first you need some background information. Tanks go through a "cycle" period. In this time, beneficial bacteria develop which turn the amonia that is in the fish's waste to nitrIte. then other bacteria develop to turn the nitrIte to nitrAte. Ammonia and nitrite are toxic to fish, while nitrates are more tollerable, and non-toxic up to certain levels.

That said, before you add more fish, hence more ammonia, you want to check to see that your ammonia and nitrites are at zero. When they are at zero, you can add more fish safely, and with much less stress on your fish.

Do you have a test kit? If not I recomend buying one. Most pet stores will test your water for you for free, which is another way to go, but having your own test kit is really useful, especially if you start having problems with your fish.

I've read up the cycling posts...thanks,

so the rule is don't add unless tank is at zero for ammonia and nitrites...I'm out to buy a kit tommorrow...thanks

Well think of it this way, if your filter isn't able to handle the ammonia that the current fish are producing, adding more fish will give you a higher ammonia level, making the water even more toxic. The toxic water will stress the fish out, and stressed fish are very prone to disease. Thats why I wont buy any fish when I have any ammonia or nitrites in the water.

Buying a test kit is a great investment. When breaking in a new tank or adding lots of fish (not recomended, but I had to because of extreme agression issues), I will test my water daily, and if i have reason to suspect something, twice daily.

Hope that helps.
Nicole

Unfortunately, I am fairly new to this also (though I've got the cycling thing down), so i'm not that familiar with the names of many fish besides the ones I have. One suggestion I have heard here that I think is really good is to go into your LFS with pencil and paper. Make a list of the fish you like and go home and research them. Look for compatiblity, diet, water preferences (high pH, low PH, soft water vs hard water), habitat, etc. From there, make your decision. This is more work, but this way you get fishes YOU like, rather than someone else's favorites. Ask tons of questions here, people here are awesome and very helpful!

Nicole

tttnjfttt, are you answering questions like a pro ! :lol:
Couldn't really have said it any better myself :nod:

a_w_jr, just on a side note though: when buying a test kit (if you haven't already done so) try to steer away from the paper strip type tests and go for liquid tests. The type you have to take a small sample of your water and mix with the "agent" to provide a reading. That will be slightly more expensive, but most certainly worht it !

a_w_jr said:
Thanks for the info

any recommendations on a cohesive fish community for my tank?
with a 100 gallon tank at your disposal *mutters to self as jealousy sets in...."swine....bugger....newbie with 100 gall tank!.....not fair.....burble burble" :grr: ;) :p * the options are vast!! :thumbs:

You could do: -

a huge community tank
an African Cichlid tank (Mbuna, Tanganiykan, Haps)
a New World Cichlid tank (Oscars, JD's, Acaras, etc etc etc)
a Loach tank, (Clowns, Khulis, Pakistanis etc etc)

I could go on and on and on but I would end up crying because I WANT A 100 GALLON TANK TOO!!!! :hey: :drool:

Like tttnjfttt said go and have a look around all your local LFS's and see what fish catch your eye. Make a list and research them thoroughly. Patience is a virtue and it will be well worthwhile in the end.

steve.

100 gal tank

With a tank that size, the world is almost your oyster - that is a a big tank!

One idea is to go for a theme - new world chiclids, blackwater, s.e asian etc which ever takes your fancy.

Just heed the advice others have given - research, research, research and add fish slowly, giving the tank time to adapt to each new resident.

Oh, and incidently, :hi: Welcome to the Forums!

Thank you very much for all the suggestions. I especially enjoy the friendly banter, I was all ready to lay down big bucks for a 55 gal tank, luck for once in my life was there! Once we get everything going I'll snap some photos.

Thanks again

AW

Most reactions

Back