How long should I leave this guppy in quarantine?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Willbacon23

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey guys, as some of you may know yesterday was the worst day by far for me keeping fish with 2 of my guppies dying of what seemed like dropsy or internal parasites. The last remaining guppy I took out the tank as a precaution, despite it showing no signs and putting it in a 5 gallon bucket with a sponge filter and saltwater. In my main tank the fish acting normal and I will be carrying out daily after changes. My question is, with my guppy showing no signs, black poop not white, swimming fine etc. How long should I keep him in the quarantine tank with salt before him back into the main tank

Once again, it is not dropsy. Dropsy is an abdominal swelling where the fish's scales look like a pinecone. Their scales aren't lost, I had a betta with dropsy so I know.

Once again, it is not dropsy. Dropsy is an abdominal swelling where the fish's scales look like a pinecone. Their scales aren't lost, I had a betta with dropsy so I know.
If it is internal parasite etc, how long before I will know iff the guppy has had it

How long has it already spent in QT?
It had been in the tank for a week it’s now been taken out in fear of it having a disease, which proved to quickly kill the other guppies over night. He’s shown none of the other signs the guppies did, Eg no white poop so I’m wondering how long as. A precaution should I take before putting him back in

It had been in the tank for a week it’s now been taken out in fear of it having a disease, which proved to quickly kill the other guppies over night. He’s shown none of the other signs the guppies did, Eg no white poop so I’m wondering how long as. A precaution should I take before putting him back in
I say do it. Keep a close eye on it. If you notice anything out of the ordinary, tell us.

I say do it. Keep a close eye on it. If you notice anything out of the ordinary, tell us.
My plan is to move him in on Friday with the rest of the fish. The other fish have shown no symptoms and neither has he. It’s clear with all females dying and coming from same tank it was an issue with the female guppy tank i bought From not the male. He’s been in a tank with almonds leaves and medication and despite being very frightened seems okay none the less. I bought him with the name trooper- as I adopted him, his name continues to seem appropriate.

My plan is to move him in on Friday with the rest of the fish. The other fish have shown no symptoms and neither has he. It’s clear with all females dying and coming from same tank it was an issue with the female guppy tank i bought From not the male. He’s been in a tank with almonds leaves and medication and despite being very frightened seems okay none the less. I bought him with the name trooper- as I adopted him, his name continues to seem appropriate.
Sounds good. Keep us updated. :good:

@Colin_T thoughts on this plan? I’ve asked so much of you and I really appreciate all your help, just wondering your inputon the idea

Most reactions

Back