How long can electric blue Acara stay in a 15 gallon

Oli

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I know this is controversial having had big tanks in the past, but for the next few months I’m limited to a 60 litre (15 US gallons). The tank currently has 2 EBAS and 5 corys. They’re pretty small at the minute and seem happy. Tank is well planted and doubles filtered…

Sorry for the poor picture, they’re new to the tank and get a bit skittish when I get near

Attachments

• D4AD7632-F37A-4924-BBB2-6BA0E1B8D24C.jpeg
    D4AD7632-F37A-4924-BBB2-6BA0E1B8D24C.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 74
If they get along (a big if) I would give that 2 months. Odds are, one will be killed before then, and then one alone will last a bit longer.
If it's 2 females, you may get a little farther.

I have read dozens of posts from people saying they got fish too big for their tanks and would buy big tanks when they grew. Usually, the fish die small, or the poster vanishes because he/she didn't get a bigger tank. I would suggest you rehome the acaras, as what they can survive and what is a good life for them are different scenarios. Why keep fish in constant tension?

When you get large tanks again, get fish to fit them. I imagine if you had large tanks and are therefore experienced, and you are asking here, you are already worried your purchase may have been a mistake.

They seem to get along just fine so far with no nipping or chasing whatsoever, they swim happily side by side. If any aggression was to develop, I’d certainly rehome. I am also 100% upgrading, probably in February/March. Just wandering if they’re likely to grow too big in that time…

It doesn't matter what they are doing now. You have to look at what they'll become, and if the hormones hit, how they'll have space to sort it out. You will probably get by to February, with a little luck. Effectively, you're keeping them in a bucket til then.

I would have left them in the store, since they are very common fish and easily found. But I'm also easily ignored, and am hoping this works for you and for them.

I would not try to slow their growth. Do lots of water changes and feed them well, because if they do survive til the new tank, you want them healthy.

I appreciate the advice and understand there could be complications. It was a bit impulsive and for that I apologise. However looking at the picture I posted, I think saying “they are in a bucket” is a bit harsh. They are in a cycled, heavily planted tank with room to swim. It’s not like I’ve put an Oscar in a 50 gallon tank and I do know what I’m doing.

Again I understand and appreciate the comments 😊

15 US gallons. If you ask the fish they’ll say they definitely do not have “room to swim”. It’s just like an Oscar in 50 gallons.

So some 2 inch acara in a 24inch grow out tank is like a 12 inch Oscar in a 36 inch tank… come on get a grip… people put breeding pairs in tiny tanks all the time with no substrate or simulation. People breed discus in tiny little tanks and it’s fine. People keep big cichlids in 125gallons with absolutley no stimulation or even substrate and it’s fine. I’ve got good flow, a very well aquascaped tank with tons of plants, hiding spots, lots of water changes, perfect paramameters, they’re well fed, well stimulated and will be fine. I essentially asked their growth rate and just get a load of know it all’s that put people off the hobby.

You’ve obviously come here wanting to hear only what you want to hear. I won’t try to help you then, since 52 years of keeping cichlids and learning about fish has just made me a “know it all”. Hopefully someone who doesn’t know much will be along to tell you what you want to hear. :)

You said yourself it’s “controversial”. Why would that be…?

Last edited:
They seem to get along just fine so far with no nipping or chasing whatsoever, they swim happily side by side. If any aggression was to develop, I’d certainly rehome. I am also 100% upgrading, probably in February/March. Just wandering if they’re likely to grow too big in that time…

People say "oh they're getting along fine!" all the time, especially when it's a species they know is territorial/aggressive and not a social fish. They always seem to forget that the fish they buy from the store are juveniles, so of course they're not displaying their full adult, breeding behaviour as soon as you plop them into your tank.

You knew what people would think, come on now. If you can't upgrade the tank yet, then the right thing to do is rehome them, then get more once you have the right habitat to offer them. You choose the fish to suit the tank you have, not the tank you wish you had.
You made the post precisely because you do know it's not okay to have them in a 15g, and the people who responded to you were genuinely nice about it too! I think you're getting defensive because you know that they're right. They're not trying to put people off the hobby. They're showing concern for the welfare of the fish, and being honest about how it's not a suitable set up and the risks involved.

I know this is controversial having had big tanks in the past, but for the next few months I’m limited to a 60 litre (15 US gallons). The tank currently has 2 EBAS and 5 corys. They’re pretty small at the minute and seem happy. Tank is well planted and doubles filtered…

Sorry for the poor picture, they’re new to the tank and get a bit skittish when I get near

If they been getting along fine, they should be ok. It would take a year for them to double in size. So in 3 months maybe an inch +. But if they do start scraping their bite force is narly, make sure you got a divider on hand. In a wholesale they place them in sizes, between 40-100 in a 40-50g depending for fresh. Only when it comes down to the last few we spilt them up to cubicles, but only if they fight Its a 50/50 thing. Just keep a close eye out. hopefully youll get the bigger tank soon.
good luck
btw stopped raising fish for 10yrs since 2010 as it was too easy, decided to raise humans instead. Big mistake! back to fish in 2020. NIce Tank !

I guess there’s a school of thought to start them out with the tank their adult size will need, probably inspired by the fact some people never get around to upgrading as intended.

This forum tends to side on the happiness of the fish. I can appreciate that since their whole world is the box we put them in and it’s death if they venture out of it in search of bluer waters. Without facial muscles to make expressions, this field ends up being a lot of science to figure out how to not stress (slow kill) fish and maybe even help them be happy. There are a lot of people here who are quite knowledgeable in this field. I think it’s worth sticking around, even after the rough advice (beating) you just got.

I think that’s a very nice looking tank! I look forward to seeing pictures of the upgrade when it happens as I think it will be stellar, based on this one.

Reactions: Oli

Most reactions

Back