How Long Before Fish

shortymet55

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I got a new aquarium setup and read to roll. Im going to speed the cycle by placed the filter media of one of my other tanks, in the new filter along with the filter media made for the bigger filter. How long should I just let the tank sit? Then at what point should I add the old filter media, and the fish. Im starting with only a few fish. I dont htink I need to use ammonia or anything, because if my old filter media bacteria can take the bioload of my entire 10 gallon tank, it should be able to handle the bioload of only a few fish from that tank.

Which brings me to a new question. Which comes first media or fish or same time. If I put media in first, then wont the lack of ammonia lead to the death of the bacteria. If the fish come first ammonia will build up, but thats bad for the fish. What should I do?
Thanks

non-chancy option = add ammonia and complete cycle tank
chancy option = add small fish and lots of water changes (dont do this unless you are sure you transfered the media correctly)

I agree w/the above's answers. Transferring it correctly means putting the media in a container of it's old tank water and ASAP putting it into your filter. Add fish shortly after or the bacteria will continue to begin dieing.

ok, sounds good. I am certain I can get the media to the other filter before it dies from being out of water. The filters are only a few feet away.

Im thinking my Algae Eater and 3 swordtails. The rest of the fish eventually going in are Tetras and angels, which both should have decently established tanks. I might add some rasboras in there too, because there fairly hardy.

ok, sounds good. I am certain I can get the media to the other filter before it dies from being out of water. The filters are only a few feet away.
lol, well that's pretty easy :good: I was thinking that you'd be getting some from a friend or someplace where there might be some travel involved.

haha, I might not be the best at this fish keeping, but i can manage this task... hopefully.

Im thinking my Algae Eater and 3 swordtails. The rest of the fish eventually going in are Tetras and angels, which both should have decently established tanks. I might add some rasboras in there too, because there fairly hardy.

The Swordtail poop alone should keep the filter bacteria going. I used to keep them and they were laying cables every time I looked in the tank.

Most reactions

Back