How Important Is Sand To A Loach?

gsta13

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I would like to put some loachs in my tank, thinking yo-yo the substrate is a fine gravel and there is a nutrient layer below will this affect the loachs? i can always put some sand in i guess.
Greg

Sand helps the barbels on loaches, when a loach digs through sand it doesn't effect these barbels, but when it digs in gravel or even fine gravel, it hurts their barbels and may even break them, causing disease or a loss of a barbel which is needed to fine food at night... same thing goes for catfish

A small, fine gravel substrate should be Ok... Sand is not a complete necessity...

That's not true... it depends entirly on the species of loach... yoyos burrow I've notice so sand would be better for them, whereas clown loaches just dig through the substrate so sand or a fine gravel would be ok for them...

EDIT---> Just to name a few examples...

That's not true... it depends entirly on the species of loach... yoyos burrow I've notice so sand would be better for them, whereas clown loaches just dig through the substrate so sand or a fine gravel would be ok for them...

EDIT---> Just to name a few examples...

Thanks for the replyies looks like either no loach, or sand.........
meh.
Greg

sand makes an aquarium look natural IMO... I've just tried it for the first time now in a 5gallon tank and I've got to say I like it...

Our Kuhli loaches have done great in our fine gravel tank for quite a while now. So have our cory Cats (which also have barbels)

Just make sure it's rounded gravel and not jagged bits.

I have 3 yo-yo loaches and they love burrowing in the gravel and uprooting my plants (grrr!). The gravel doesn't seem to do them any harm, just make sure it's rounded and not the sort with sharp edges.

I can't say anything for certain about yo-yo loaches, but I have three kuhli loaches and two clown loaches. The kuhlis do fine with the gravel as long as I give them plenty of places to hide. This way they don't need to dig. The clown loaches don't seem to dig much at all, just kinda sift through the gravel for goodies.

my clown loaches do ok in the gravel, have had gravel in the whole time i had them they just dig a bit. Have been thinkin of changing to sand though for a more natural look.

Most reactions

Back