Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1-5 miles

• Total voters

DaveW

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I was reading a thread that said tetras didn't travel well which made me think, how far do you travel to get your fish. I travel about 15 miles to go to a fish shop that I like.

I too travel around 15 miles to my normal LFS (plus I work for them so have to go there!!) However, I have been known to travel 100 miles before. Armed with a proper fish transporter I've never had any problems!

i go up to 20 miles max (32 km)

Big Al's is about that far from here but it's worth the drive. Plus, it's like a 10 minutes drive from my work so i usually go when my shift is over!

I have good stores near my place too, but not as good as Big Al's as far as fish selection go.

The lfs shop I mainly use is 8 miles away.However I work 30 miles away and have bought fish there .I also travel 40 miles to visit an excellent shop there.I have also bought bettas online.
I reckon if a fish has survived a trip over seas to Belfast then another 40 mile trip down the M2 aint gonna kill it--unless it dies of shock at my driving!! :whistle:

xxSarahxx said:
Meg - then you are very very lucky!!
[snapback]868671[/snapback]​

I guess I am! The other one is 10-15 minutes away in the next town. Thats pretty sad, only 1 petstore here! My parents think I'm weird when I have to go to EVERY petstore when we go to another city. :hyper:

I have travelled 50+ miles to Shirley Aquatics and came back with the Betta in my sig. He was very pale and sorry for himself when we got home though.

Basia - he's a stunner now though!
Meg - I'm exactly the same... I research the local petstores in the area I'm going to on the net first too!

I have traveled for about 6 hours to purchase fish.....from around Indianapolis, IN to close to Detroit, MI! Of course, they were packaged as for shipping when I started home with them rather than just a small fish bag like the locals do.

We really don't have a very good lfs within 30 miles. I have been to the local one but they mainly cater to saltwater. Mislabel cichlids, and they don't seem to know a lot about freshwater in general. Since I only have the one tank going and its pretty much full that doesn't bother me much right now.

I'll make a good 30-45 min drive across the city to our Big Al's. It has far bigger selection that the other lfs' and has much more knowledgable staff than our other chain stores.

I really have no clue how many miles or km that is :p

My lfs is about 4 miles down the road - however I have delivered/collected fish from up to 150 miles away. Never had any problems with them either.

5 for feeders,dry goods and some fish and 20 miles if i want something really nice or big

Most reactions

Back