How else should I improve my Tanks Looks?

TomRadford12354

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,
So I attempted to decorate my first tank the other day and found it a buzz. But I feel like It has something missing . Wether it is I need a bigger rock Feature to fill the empty space. I don't no I was wondering if any one good give me some ideas .

Thanks in advance
IMG_4067.jpg

I would recommend you put a background on your tank...Black is a great color and makes plants "pop" and makes them look more vibrant green in color. You can just use black poster board material. Your plants look sparce right now, but they just need time to fill in. You could add some mid ground plants to add some variety of plant height. A few pieces of driftwood would add a lot of interest and dimension to the tank as well. I love the rocks...Looks great so far!!

I would recommend you put a background on your tank...Black is a great color and makes plants "pop" and makes them look more vibrant green in color. You can just use black poster board material. Your plants look sparce right now, but they just need time to fill in. You could add some mid ground plants to add some variety of plant height. A few pieces of driftwood would add a lot of interest and dimension to the tank as well. I love the rocks...Looks great so far!!
Thanks for the quick reply .
Actually a black background did occur to me as a good idea so I will get on to that .
Most of my plants seem to be showing signs of new growth with little shoots popping up only after 5 days so hopefully they will fill out after I return from my holiday.
Do you have any in mind I was struggling to find some ?

I think you need to give it some time to fill out and if I may suggest a few Cryptocoryne's at the front would make the world of difference ( but I am very partial to a Crypt).

Great start :)
Yes I guess your right .
Have just looked a picture of the Cryptocoryne they are lovely I take it they are a plant that grow low to the ground .
Thanks

You have a good start, I like the rocks, you may want to look at adding a few ferns like Java Fern and Crested Water Fern. Have you decided on what type of fish you want? That can make a difference in what to add to the tank.
I was thinking about going down the killifish route also a possible honey gourami but the rest is undecided .

What a great tip didn't even know if that was a thing .

Thank you
You'll notice they shoot out little white roots between the leaf nodes which help it to propagate as a new plant. Remove any leaves from the bottom part (so youre not burying any of the leaves). Tank is looking great :good:

Thanks for the quick reply .
Actually a black background did occur to me as a good idea so I will get on to that .
Most of my plants seem to be showing signs of new growth with little shoots popping up only after 5 days so hopefully they will fill out after I return from my holiday.
Do you have any in mind I was struggling to find some ?
Crypts would be nice.

Looking really good, especially so for a first tank! I love the substrate and the plants you have.

If you think it needs more, go to your LFS and check out what hardscape is available. There might be a piece of driftwood or a big rock that you just have to have. If you have something too specific in mind, like trailing branches, you might get frustrated and not be able to find something that looks exactly how you want it. See what's available, see what grabs your attention, then (after preparing it) stick it in there, shift things around, and decide what you like!

I find it helpful to arrange the rocks and driftwood, step back and take a photo of the whole tank, go back and re-arrange, take another photo, etc etc. I keep doing that until I run out of ideas, then have a gallery of photos to look through, and decide what arrangement I like. I look at images of other planted tanks and videos on aquascaping, and draw ideas and inspiration from there. Take your time with it and have fun, and now is the best time to do it, before your plants fill out too much, and your options are wide open.

Have a look at what the rule of thirds is in aquascaping too, it can help a tank look more natural, but it's also a guideline rather a rule, and you can also ignore it completely and do what you like with your own tank. :D

Have fun and share photos please! :)

Most reactions

Back