how does this sound for stocking my 47?

Anonymous Fox

Fish Addict
Reaction score
4 mollies

6 glowlight tetras

5 silvertip tetras

6 bloodfin tetras

2 albino rainbow sharks (how can you be albino and rainbow at the same time?)

would it be over-stocked? I'm planing on having a planted tank with pot hides and sand substate.

Mollies need hard water and tetras prefer soft water... So you'd need to choose what would suit the water in your area really

well considering your soft water I would say stick to the tetras only, molly is a hard water fish (they are native to my area and we have a Gh of 295-310 ppm)
as for the tetras remember, the more you add the better they will feel. Also, I think that the best fish to pair up are those who live in the same places since it allows you to do a loose biotope tank, that since it is imitating nature has a better chance of survival, so rainbow sharks wouldn't really fit. Also if you went for the biotope approach I should tell you that yes there is diversity but large numbers of very specific fish in a small area are more common so maybe do it something like this:
25 bloodfin tetras
15 marbled hatchet fish
15 otocinclus affinis
2 bristlenose plecos
2 Apistogramma cacatuoides

well considering your soft water I would say stick to the tetras only, molly is a hard water fish (they are native to my area and we have a Gh of 295-310 ppm)
as for the tetras remember, the more you add the better they will feel. Also, I think that the best fish to pair up are those who live in the same places since it allows you to do a loose biotope tank, that since it is imitating nature has a better chance of survival, so rainbow sharks wouldn't really fit. Also if you went for the biotope approach I should tell you that yes there is diversity but large numbers of very specific fish in a small area are more common so maybe do it something like this:
25 bloodfin tetras
15 marbled hatchet fish
15 otocinclus affinis
2 bristlenose plecos
ok ty :) is that, like, i could keep 25 bloodfins OR 2 cockatoo cichlids or I can keep them all in the 47 gallon together?

ok ty :) is that, like, i could keep 25 bloodfins OR 2 cockatoo cichlids or I can keep them all in the 47 gallon together?
I mean you can keep them all together. Reading about your grandfather's lonely tetra I think that maybe you could change the 15 marbled hatchet fish for 14 glowlight tetras plus the one your grandfather already has, and so your new stocking that I recommend using the adjustments would be:
25 bloodfin tetras
15 glowlight tetras
15 otocinclus affinis
2 bristlenose plecos

this is a full stocking idea, all the fish in here you could keep together in your 47 gallon

Most reactions

Back