How Do You Stop Lobsters Killing Other Fish?

Rusty101

Reaction score
Is it possible to remove the threat of lobsters to other fish? like sticking elastic bands on their pinchers? please help

yeah there are I've seen them at lps they have these blue bands over there pinchers but not sure where you get them at. If you have a lobster just get some fish that are fast and spend alot of time towards the top or middle.

yeah there are I've seen them at lps they have these blue bands over there pinchers but not sure where you get them at. If you have a lobster just get some fish that are fast and spend alot of time towards the top or middle.

cheers for the reply, i will definatly look into the rubber bands, what does "lps" mean? i thought getting high swimming fish was the answer, but after observing the lobsters for a while, its clear that they will go anywhere they can, climb the thermometre, the pump, plants, anything to get to the top! theyre little rascals!!

For the lobsters sake do not tie the lobsters pincers up. They could die of starvation. Just get faster fish or get rid of the lobster.

Oh yeah sorry :*) forgot thats how they get there food.Lps means local pet store. Are there any fish in the tank with him? If not don't get any fish or return the lobster and get fish.

Is it possible to remove the threat of lobsters to other fish? like sticking elastic bands on their pinchers? please help

Yeah, you can put them in another tank :lol:

Lobsters are natural predators, they are only doing what is natural for them. If you are unable to look after it in a natural state, it might be worth rehoming him to another tank.

If you are going to have Lobsters, what size tank, and what are the other fish, and what type of Lobsters are they? If I had a salt tank with Lobsters I would love to see them take down a feeder fish. I thought that Lobsters were scavengers.

I havnt any other fish in the tank yet, and im just checking out the possibility. lobsters dont actually feed themselves with their pincers, for a start, they cant get them to their mouths, their two front legs have mini unharmful claws to pick food up and pass it to the two spider like fangs they have by their mouth, i cant see much use for the pincers as they are in captivity, and i supply them with blood worm, which is an easy food for them to eat, they dont have to fight for anything.

so i still like the idea of the rubber bands, does anyone know the strenght of blue lobster claw shells?

just to clear this up, i bought lobsters especially for the tank and no other fish are in there, and i had no intention of putting fish in there. it was only when i came up with the idea that the pincers are the only problem, they dont use them to survive, so i am just checking with you guys if there is a known method of doing what i suggested. THERE WILL BE NO LOBSTER HURT THROUGH THE OUTCOME OF THIS POST

Chill out! Not suggesting that you mean any harm. I am wondering why you would to have Lobs and not want to see those awesome claws in action. Watching them on Discovery is one thing but seeing them in action at home would be awesome.

I don't think you should tie up the lobsters pincers, I don't think I'd like my hands tied up forever! If they go after fish in your tank then you'd have to choose between fish or the lobsters.

Holding their pinchers shut by any means is not a good idea. The stress created by this could easily lead to the onset of disease and severely shorten their lives as well as any other inhabitants of the tank. If you want lobsters, get big fish.

Most reactions

Back