How Do You Guys Blanch Cucumber

Royster

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I have 8 cherry shrimp in my main tank and read they like a bit of cucumber once and a while and if I blanch it it'll be good to go, so I boil water, pop a slice in for 30secs then remove and bath in cold water!

Am I doing something wrong?

The only food that i have given my shrimp that i blanched were Carrots.

Cucumber and pear i just cut into a slice and carfeully place in the tank.

I do not blanch cucumber, I would imagine that it will probably disintegrate if blanched...

Cheers guys, I'm such a dickhead.

How did you do the carrots ?

I cut the carrots into 5mm thick slices,and put them in boiling water for 10 minutes.Drained water,put them into a plastic tub and added tank water.left them for a few hours.

Carefully added them to the tank.

Spare ones i keep in a tub in the fridge.

Try feeding courgettes. My plec loves the stuff and wont touch cucumber, your shrimp may be the same.

Carrots and peas are usually steamed, and are leftovers from what I have for dinner. Peas need de-shelling.

Mine prefer zucchini to cucumber. They also like the zucchini better if it's really ripe, then blanch it. I cut mine into 1/2 inch thick slices then drop into boiling water(de-chlorinate first) for about 5 mins. or until soft. I freeze batches of it at a time then thaw as I need to.

Blimey.. that must make the whole house smell of dechlorinator! Bit of an odd concept.. especially given that the chlorine gets degassed pretty much the moment water boils, that amount of chlorine would not hurt the fish anyway and veggies don't exactly soak it up.

dechlorinating for food to boil in, what ever next.

Blimey.. that must make the whole house smell of dechlorinator! Bit of an odd concept.. especially given that the chlorine gets degassed pretty much the moment water boils, that amount of chlorine would not hurt the fish anyway and veggies don't exactly soak it up.

gota agree with the above. this is one step with no merit at all!
there is no point blanching courgette/ zucchini, unless you are going to leave the skin in, to be eaten.

you are actually far better off using tinned veg (check salt levels though) canned products have far higher nutritional content, that fresh cooked of frozen veg does. sounds counter intuative. indeed i was taught at school. that canned veg was "low quality" and unhealthy. recent research proves the opposite to be true.

personally i would advise against feeding "human leftovers". we tend to add salt to our food whilst cooking. this is no good for fresh water fish.

I blanch my cucumber just so it sinks! My fish won't eat it at all if it's bobbing about in the water or suspended from something.

I just slice it up and stick in in a shallow bowl of water in the microwave for a couple of short blasts, maybe a minute or so. It will still float but if you leave it to cool a bit it'll sink in the bowl and then you know it'll sink in the tank too :)

I blanch my cucumber just so it sinks! My fish won't eat it at all if it's bobbing about in the water or suspended from something.

I just slice it up and stick in in a shallow bowl of water in the microwave for a couple of short blasts, maybe a minute or so. It will still float but if you leave it to cool a bit it'll sink in the bowl and then you know it'll sink in the tank too :)

plant weights or a bit of SS do a far better job. by the time you have blanched it, it will have, virtually, no nutritional value. and it has a low value, uncooked.

plant weights or a bit of SS do a far better job. by the time you have blanched it, it will have, virtually, no nutritional value. and it has a low value, uncooked.

Fair point! I'll bear that in mind. I mostly fed it to give the bristlenose a bit of variety but she seems indifferent to it now she's getting to adult size anyway, so I'm not too devastated to learn that :)

Most reactions

Back