"How" do you fill up your aquarium?

I decholrinate a bucket of water the night before, and then clean the tank with the gravel cleaner, and add the water back in with another syphon. works well, and thankfully my tank is only a 10gal

I gravel vac for a while into a bucket.
Then I bring out the BIG GUNS!
A hose that runs all the way to my kitchen sink to syphon the water out, and then a hose that travels all the way from the tap back into the tank :p

:kana:

I have two pythons. I refill the tank directly from tap into the tank while adding dechlorinator every so often. And I drain with the second python which I connect to my canister filter intake tap connector valve and drain the water into another sink. I do both at the same time :nod:

I know it sounds complicated, but there's no other way to do like 20 gallon water changes without the water dropping so low that my fish can't swim anymore (because of the plants) :unsure:

konrad05 said:
I have two pythons. I refill the tank directly from tap into the tank while adding dechlorinator every so often. And I drain with the second python which I connect to my canister filter intake tap connector valve and drain the water into another sink. I do both at the same time :nod:

I know it sounds complicated, but there's no other way to do like 20 gallon water changes without the water dropping so low that my fish can't swim anymore (because of the plants) :unsure:
How do you add the dechlorinator while filling the tank?

will the dechlorinator lose it's affect by getting diluted in the tank water to actually remove the chlorine of the water which is coming through the python hose?

I have a 35 gallon barrel in the garage thats filled with aged water and I use a Mag Drive 5 with a garden hose to pump it into my tank. Sounds like a bith much but when your doing one 50% w/c daily then it only takes like 15 minutes.

doesnt adding water straight from the tap kill the cycle bacteria due to the chlorine?

-how long before bacteria start dying off due to chlorine?
-how long before the water conditioner does its job?

malangbaba said:
doesnt adding water straight from the tap kill the cycle bacteria due to the chlorine?

-how long before bacteria start dying off due to chlorine?
-how long before the water conditioner does its job?
If you add the conditioner as you pour water into the tank, it will be ok - they work pretty much instantly. People have been during this for years without any ill-effect... ;)

Oh and one more thing - when I switched to python a while back, I noticed I was using up the conditioner much more than I used to when I used bucket (because I was adding the conditioner by feeling the amount).

Now I simply measure out the conditioner based on the volume of water change, put it in a cup, fill the rest with tank water, and pour them as I add tap water directly. Much more economical this way... ;)

The tap water conditioner is active for 5 minutes. And I just add it every 3-5 minutes. The bigger the tank the less you have to worry about chlorine. I'd had fish swim in the current of the incoming tap water and are still alive.

well....i have to admit, i use the gravel vacuum and a bucket. I have a 90g which is apain to do this with, but my 30g is alot easier at least!

.Occy. said:
well....i have to admit, i use the gravel vacuum and a bucket. I have a 90g which is apain to do this with, but my 30g is alot easier at least!
Try python (or one of its clones)... You will never want to get back to the bucket way again... ;)

Today I went and bought the pump which is in the heart of python. I got it a from a furniture store for CDN $6. Hopefully tomorrow I’ll get the hose and adaptors... lets see what happens.

I fill a bucket up, treat the water and check temperature.
Then with a jug, pour the water over the back of my hand to disperse the waters force. I do this until the bucket has 2/3 left in it then I can pick it up and tip with one hand whilst it pours over the back of my other hand.

The bucket I use is never used for anything else.

some times i stick the hose from outside into the tank and turn it on. fill up the tank. add the water condish. fish are fine and havnt lost any yet doing it this way

Most reactions

Back