How do you do a water change?

joeyr188

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I made this because I’m curious on how people do water changes and how they dose the water I start by taking 25% of the water out then I dose the tank with the recommended amount of conditioner I then fill my water change bucket I add quarter the amount I did to the tank the I add a bubbler and let it sit for 5-10min then add the water to the tank.

I only have a 20 gallon.

I will siphon the water out (about 50%) every week. I siphon the substrate every 2 weeks. I will then rinse my filter in the siphoned out tank water.

Next I wipe down the inside glass of the aquarium. Then fill up a 5 gallon bucket with water that I have matched the temperature and then pour some water conditioner in and let it sit for about 5 mins (I have to do this 2 times as I need to refill roughly 10 gallons)

I will add the water to my tank slowly once done put the lid back on and call it a day.

Drain 50%
Touch up wiping any plant leaves that are super bad
Wipe the glass
Dose with water conditioner, let the bubbler disperse it, then refill

then I dose the tank with the recommended amount of conditioner I then fill my water change bucket I add quarter the amount I did to the tank
If you are using a bucket to refill the tank, add conditioner to each bucket of water at the dose rate for the volume of water in the bucket. Adding it to the tank and the bucket of water is adding too much.

I use a bucket to refill. My conditioner's dose rate is 1 drop per gallon. My bucket holds 2 gallons, so I put 2 drops in the bucket then run water in to the 2 gallon mark.

(It's only 2 gallons as I can't lift anything heavier)

I drain my tank into the garden using a garden hose, then refill it via the upstairs shower so it's the correct temperature (using the same hose) while dosing with prime. I do a 75% water change every 2 weeks.

Weekly I test TDS and water parameters. When needed I usually make a 60-75% WC on the freshwater tanks in the basement, letting gravity pull the waste water into the basement drain. First I off the HOB and heaters. I usually do a substrate cleaning and remove any dead/dying leaves or large debris.

To refill I will usually use the python. I dose Safe for the tank size, adding it close to the filter outflow (big tanks FX is usually still running) or in a corner where the water will be coming back in. Then I turn everything back on, make sure the lids are closed and wipe down any outside drops/dribbles.

Slightly different for the brackish tank as I don't usually do a water change weekly, but top it off. Monthly WC involves pretty much the same as FW, turn off HOB/heater, drain to basement- doing a substrate cleaning but I usually only do 30-40%. I will also buy 15-20 gallons of SW from my lfs as I noticed a lot of sand when I mixed it myself. I then match the prior salinity and pour it into the tank with a bucket. I clean the lids of any built up salt and call it a day.

I also have blackwater tanks that I need RODI water for. These are my four 5 gallon tanks and my 6 gallon rimless . Turn off HOBs and heaters first. Then as I am gravity draining the tanks 30% and removing algae and other debris (either to basement floor drain, or a bucket) I have the RODI unit working to make enough water to refill the tanks, them some extra for the 10 gallon Brute I have set up with the Mist King for my box turtle's enclosure and some extra for the orchids and pingulara I have. I so add a sprinkle of safe to the RODI brute for the chloramines in the water that may not get processed out. A better to be safe than sorry senario.

BTW my FW tanks are 125, 120, 120, 75, 75, 40B, 20L, 10, and 10 gallons. Also have about 16-17 gallon area for my box turtle's 180 gallon enclosure that holds water.

Brackish is 33 gallon.

We just added a 13.5 gallon SW tank and haven't done a WC on it yet. It's the Fluval EVO.

The blackwater are four 5 gallon and 6 gallon.

Last edited:
I do my water changes with a bucket I take about 30-40% out with a clean tube and lots of complaining, then I fill it backup and spill about a litre on the outside of the glass then I rub dry with a microfiber cloth

Weekly to 10 days about 50 to 70%. Garden hose to sink and reverse, garden hose from sink to tank adding water conditioner as the tank fills.

i do 50% water change in my 125gal aquarium with vacuum syphon. we have this bubble tub that has only had water used in it and i just fill to the brim and put in the necessary chemical mix and adjust the temperature to same as tank water and use the pond pump to refill.
has worked perfectly for the last 15yrs. anything to simplify work!
fish fill.jpg

I do my water changes with a bucket I take about 30-40% out with a clean tube and lots of complaining, then I fill it backup and spill about a litre on the outside of the glass then I rub dry with a microfiber cloth
Get a Python = less complaining ;)

Think of walking the buckets as a workout!

I have a flexible hose several times wider than a garden hose that I jam into the floor drain, then I walk along the tanks siphoning 30% every week. The siphon I use drains into the end of the wider hose. It's fast. By keeping to a routine, I don't need to waste time testing, and experience has taught me ammonia isn't the only target anyway. When I have removed a fairly uniform 30%, I take out the python, which is basically just a high quality hose attached to a laundry sink faucet. I put dechlorinator into the tanks, and walk along refilling.

I make sure to play energetic music kind of loud, and can do 60 tanks in 90 minutes. The slowest part is refilling.

I use an infrared temperature 'gun' gauge to keep track of water temps, and if I aim it at the hose, it tells me the temp of the flowing water. In winter, alas, I have to spread it out over 3 half hour to 40 minute sessions, as the incoming water is very cold, and the water heater I use to mix is not large.

One thing I did before I had too many aquariums and changed my procedure was to let the new water sit for an hour before I changed it out. I also poured it back and forth between two buckets to aerate it. Ideally you will have at least two new clean 5 gallon buckets that never get used for anything other than fish chores. The reason I let it sit for an hour was to let the dechlorinator work. They say that stuff is instant but I don’t believe it.

The house has no basement, so my tanks are spread between 2 buildings and 4 rooms year round and a 5th used only in the summer as it is basically outside.

All tanks get media cleaning done in buckets. Small tanks (>35 gal) also take out water using buckets which dumped into a toilet or utility sink. Some tanks can be emptied directly into the utility sink with a siphon or pump. Many tanks can have water pumped out a window or into the toilet. The tanks in the bathroom can be emptied into the sink or toilet. Tanks in the fish space can be filled or topped off directly from the hose connected to the the sink faucet.

All tanks are refilled using pumped in water at temp. I have a private well and do not treat the water. Planted tanks are fertilized after being refilled. I set up changing water which needs to have co2 outgassed and be well oxygenated before it goes into a series of holding containers- 32 and 2 x 20 gal. Rubbermaid trash cans and a few 5 gal. buckets.

Things change in the winter when the ground is frozen. I cannot pump out windows, so everything goes into a toilet or the utility sink.

I have one tank with stained acid water for altum angels, I have to make a special mix of water for them and this is done in a rubbermaid set up next to the tank so I can use the digital monitor from the tank in the can to get the params where I need them for the refill water.

Most reactions

Back