How Do You Attach Java Moss To Coconut Shell?

emzyp

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
was thinking of doing it myself,whats the best way?

also can a moss ball,if split be attached to anything?

take some black cotton and wrap it around it. the cotton will deteriorate over time and the moss will be att\ched. :good:

I used cotton string (since it was easier to tie than fishing line) but I had to snip it off after some time since it didn't deteriorate at all.

I don't have any experience with moss balls.

Welcome to the forum emzyp. Don't be shy to ask questions.

edit: added welcome

as far as i know moss balls are actually algae? There was a topic here some where the other week asking the same though if you do a search :good:

When I atatched moss to a coconut shell I drilled some homes in it, put the moss on it then ties it down with fishing line. Not sure about the moss balls though, but I do know if you split them you can have a bunch of smaller balls.

im getting so frustrated with my bloody coconut!!!!
after finally managing to break it, soaked it for ages, got my java moss,placed on and tried to cover it with some net i got off ebay and it just falls apart before i get a chance to tie it up, i dont have any cotton and thought it wud be better to use net, but now im not so sure.

it put in a bad mood so ive left it to one side hoping it will magically do itself!

soo..i went shopping earlier and got some cotton...omg so much easier than a net!!
i have now made my cave,here are some pics of the outcome,i wass quite impressed with myself!!

here is a close up

100_0197.jpg

here is a tank shot

i also covered a plastic tube i had,im thinking it wont attach to plastic but thought it looked quite cool

100_0199.jpg

overall i reckon it cost me about a fiver, for the coconut, java moss from ebay, cotton, and the net that i got p'd off with!

what do you think??

looks well covered but are you sure thats java moss? looks completely different to what i have!! although it could just be dying? If it is dont worry, it will grow nice green bits soon enough :good:

looks well covered but are you sure thats java moss? looks completely different to what i have!! although it could just be dying? If it is dont worry, it will grow nice green bits soon enough :good:

i couldnt be certain as im not sure what its sposed to look like,i got it off ebay and it said it was java moss and gave the long posh name for it, they did say when it arrives some of it may be a bit brown but it will green up soon enough.

Vesicularia dubayana is what it said it was

java moss is actually Taxiphyllum barbieri, but almost everyone uses the name Vesicularia dubayana for some reason?

Most reactions

Back