how do u...

afireinside

A Shrine To Madness
Reaction score
ok, i know to tell if a livebearer is about to have babies is the gravid spot gets really big. well, how do u tell on black mollies other than them gettting way, way fatter.

Well, basically getting fatter is the only way. Or the other signs of labor, which I'm sure you already know (?).

It's kind of a guessing game with them, though.

i've had molly fry before, but she gave birth while i was at school. what are the signs of labor?!

getting territorial towards ALL of the other fish, if there are floating plants she will go swim near them, at least thats what I saw in mine a few hours before, but I'm not sure what she would do right before it happends (I wasn't there ) :(

the back of her body will get wider. plus she will start hiding more, and keeping other fish away.

Signs...acting moody, chasing fish away, sometimes slighty heavier breathing, hiding out near the heater, or in plants, when you look at her head on, she'll look a little squarish in the stomach, Hoovering in one place, and not eating any food if you put it in....of course, not all fish exhibit all these signs. These are just possible ones. :)

in mollies, the female will become very aggressive and protective of her space. she'll probably hide in a well planted area away from other fish. wish there were other ways of determineing when but you really cant. you could add in some java moss or other weedy plant for her and her brood to hide in, she'll definately head for that stuff when she is redy :thumbs:

Most reactions

Back