how do some people get jobs

jeffrey said:
<!-- Start Snip -->

if someone offered me a job for under 14 an hour I would laugh blatenly in their face.
(that is assuming I would stop my webmaster job or add a real job to it)
but I'm a skilled worker, and never have any problems finding people that will pay me what I want.

<!-- End Snip -->
I agree - and one thing to remember too, most of the knowledge that we all have comes from having our own tanks and our own experiences. That being said, step back and take a look at how much money you've sunk into your tank. It's not been a cheap road, has it? People who are into the hobby and have a wealth of knowledge most likely are not able to support their daily lives (with or without fish) based on the salary that you're average LFS employee makes. Would any of us really consider taking a job at an LFS for 1/2 (or less) of what we're making now? I know I couldn't even if I wanted to. I would; however, consider working Part-Time for store credit for my purchases. :D

When my LFS is hiring, they specifically say that applicants must be knowledgable and experienced in aquarium keeping. It obviously works because all the workers there really know their stuff. :thumbs:

jeffrey said:
Ruby Shark said:
WheelmanCA19 said:
That and what kind of help do you expect to get for 6-7 bucks an hour?
Unfortunately that's true in a lot of cases.
However, I do believe that if you go to a store that specializes in fish and fish products the staff should at least be able to identify the fish they are selling.
if you want skilled workers you have to pay more.
I see your point... but I don't classify being able to identify most fish when you work in a fish store being skilled. I see that as fish stores being responsible to some degree....making sure that their employees have some knowledge in that field.
Does that always happen...no.

Becca said:
People who are into the hobby and have a wealth of knowledge most likely are not able to support their daily lives (with or without fish) based on the salary that you're average LFS employee makes. Would any of us really consider taking a job at an LFS for 1/2 (or less) of what we're making now? I know I couldn't even if I wanted to. I would; however, consider working Part-Time for store credit for my purchases. :D
Hi :)

Now I know that the average person who has to pay bills etc. could not afford to do that. I as well as you could not. However, I do know (just from posting here alone) that there are a lot of younger people that do know their stuff. I'm sure they wouldn't mind working part time for that kind of money...and I know that I would rather have their advice in some cases.

Ruby Shark said:
Becca said:
People who are into the hobby and have a wealth of knowledge most likely are not able to support their daily lives (with or without fish) based on the salary that you're average LFS employee makes. Would any of us really consider taking a job at an LFS for 1/2 (or less) of what we're making now? I know I couldn't even if I wanted to. I would; however, consider working Part-Time for store credit for my purchases. :D
Hi :)

Now I know that the average person who has to pay bills etc. could not afford to do that. I as well as you could not. However, I do know (just from posting here alone) that there are a lot of younger people that do know their stuff. I'm sure they wouldn't mind working part time for that kind of money...and I know that I would rather have their advice in some cases.
Good point, overlooked that! :D

Ruby Shark said:
jeffrey said:
Ruby Shark said:
WheelmanCA19 said:
That and what kind of help do you expect to get for 6-7 bucks an hour?
Unfortunately that's true in a lot of cases.
However, I do believe that if you go to a store that specializes in fish and fish products the staff should at least be able to identify the fish they are selling.
if you want skilled workers you have to pay more.
I see your point... but I don't classify being able to identify most fish when you work in a fish store being skilled. I see that as fish stores being responsible to some degree....making sure that their employees have some knowledge in that field.
Does that always happen...no.
most people that know what htey are talking about befor working there I would call skilled, to some extent at least.

most places the employee will learn, and in it everyday probably pretty fast too.

jeffrey said:
most people that know what htey are talking about befor working there I would call skilled, to some extent at least.

most places the employee will learn, and in it everyday probably pretty fast too.
I don't know if skilled is the right word in this case. Knowledgeable maybe?
But I was referring to the people who don't know the basic information that they should after they have already been employed.

Yes you are right...they will learn. :) But unfortunately the people that were given wrong information will also learn...the hard way.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying this is always the case. I know that many fish stores have a lot of employees who know what they are talking about. :)

Well...unfortunately for us fishkeepers, it is cheaper to hire unskilled labour than it is to hire somebidy who knows stuff....what they don't realise though is that "so called" cheap labour may cost them more in the long run when people no longer buy from them due to inappropriate fish advice and/or deaths of fish due to the fish not being looked after properly at the shop itself.

Like most things in life it is all about the almighty bottom dollar!!!

Sad fact of life but true

cutecotton said:
*applies to her local LFS*
The local local fish store eh? :rofl:

lol, just kidding. anyway, I really hate it when you go to the fish store and they always try and make you buy something that is really pointless.

I wanted to get a job at an lfs but my dad says no because it to far away. I wanted to work at petsmart because they need some people who know how to tell the sex of livebearers!

aww another old post. I almost had a job at the LFS but then they told me how much they paid and they said 5.15 i laughed and said "what if i was overqualified?" they said "o your not, you have to know about nitrate levels" i said "o really" and then i laughed some more and left. they never called back. What a shame.
2 tips
1. Dont tell them your overqualified if you really want the job.
2. Dont laugh at them.

Most reactions

Back