How Do I Stop My Platies Hogging All The Food?

DragonLass

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have 4 (female) platies in my tank. I love them to death, they have such great personalities, they are always curious about everything i'm doing in the tank.
But they are also food hoovers! Whenever it is feeding time, they swarm on the flakes like nothing else, not giving the others much of a chance, especially my shy little angelfish. THEN once all the flakes are gone, they start up on the catfish's algae disc.
Does anyone have any tips for feeding time? Maybe some sort of diversion? :D

Also, I want to get a male soon, as I reckon it would be cool to have some fry (I'll get a breeding net so my angel doesn't eat them all :fun: ).
Is one male enough to *ahem* 'service' all 4 of my females?

I had to net mine when it came to feeding time and give the other a chance to eat. You think platies are bad try keeping mollies. If I ever get any more I will make sure I have a tank devider. I dont think I will ever keep them again. I dont have the room for them they add up too fast for me.

Try dropping the algae tablet in once the lights are out. The Platies won't find it as much. Or just try giving an extra little bit of a tablet, so the Platies get some. As for the food, what you could do is drop some in on one side, wait for them to flock, then put some over the Angel. Or you could try feeding rings. :)

Yes, one male will be enough. It's recommended you have at least 2-3 females per male, so you'll have a good ratio. Just be prepared for all the fry...Platies have a lot! Are you planning to put the female in the breeder net, or just the fry?

If you are really serious about breeding, I'd look into a small fry tank. :thumbs:

Also, I want to get a male soon, as I reckon it would be cool to have some fry (I'll get a breeding net so my angel doesn't eat them all :fun: ).
Is one male enough to *ahem* 'service' all 4 of my females?

One male will be fine, if you have too many males the females will get too stressed (especially when pregnant).

Most reactions

Back